Cheapy hand hel metal detector wand; better than nothing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Thinking of taking a punt on a cheap ($50) wand, but not sure if it's one of those 'spend allot or don't bother' kinda things.

What say yous fellas?

I didn't buy a metal detector until I hit a couple of bits of metal but since buying it I haven't found anything.
It has been useful is finding nails in recycled timber.
The biggest problem I'm finding is remembering to use it

At the time of purchasing I did a bit of an investigation and found that there were a number of cheaper "security type" detectors that are designed to find large bits of metal like weapons under clothing but they won't pick up smaller bits of metal under wood.
I bought mine from Carbatec.

I'd guess that at $50, the penetration into the timber isn't going to be that deep, and it probably won't find the smaller things like nails or small screws? You might have to hang a sign on the saw telling you to use the wand...."Did you wand your wood?"
I've seen a really cheap one at Harbor Freight, but without being able to test it....it can stay at HF.

Scott (too much junk to carry already) B

I have two of the harbor freight hand helds.... And they do good if you go over the log every couple of cuts.

Thanks all.

The HF wands are similar to the cheapies available here. In terms of sensitivity, I haven't found a way to establish before buying because I can't find a reliable standard and even if I did I doubt the sellers would know, and most are online based, so I guess I'll just have to buy one with a $ back guarantee and hope for the best.

I use a texas pro, got at a yard sale, 30.00 I put it on the iron an metals setting, has been good at finding nail, fence staples, and always check ur wood for metal staining, and where it came from, the setting I use on the detector, avg's 10 to 12 inchs in so I just roll the log over, I learned the hard way, paid for it, by having to buy some new bands for my mill.. good luck

Thanks for the info and bump. I bought the cheapie and it is only good for finding nails no more than about 3" deep. Better than nothing, but I feel like I'll be riding my luck if I rely on it too much.

Latest posts

Back