Check out this chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One thing about buying and collecting old saws is that sometimes you run across something some one did to it and wonder what in the hell were they thinking?

This is the chain I took off the Dayton/Poulan 3400 that I got last weekend.

Now I know what skip, semi skip and standard sequence chains are, but what would you call this?

No I didnt try to cut with it to see how it did either. :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

dang i would wonder the same thing there bud but you can never tell what people will do to a saw to make it run or cut good trust me

If all the cutters were sequenced like the 2 you're refering too it would be called "full house".
I think that chain would be called eeny meeny miney moe, because someone needed to drop a driver. :laugh:

Andy

I got a saw that had a .404" Skip with the cutters all ground off on one side.. The saw cut nice bowl shaped cookies...

Rick

I just see a regular chipper chain someone joined together at two aternate cutters, seen this many times over the years.
Pioneerguy600

I've been woundering what a chipper chain is. I know of a semi chisel, chisel and a square chesil.:confused:

How much would it cost to make a complete loop like that :greenchainsaw:

Sure to win the WT race with that!

I've been woundering what a chipper chain is. I know of a semi chisel, chisel and a square chesil.:confused:

I'm not sure when they quit making chipper chain. Probably 20 or more years ago? Don't know, I never used it much.
Chipper chain was rounded rather than having a corner on the cutter. It would cut a long time before becoming completely dull. Maybe because it was never too sharp to begin with.

Andy

I would think it would cut just the same as any other chain of that type. Maybe a little jerk here and there, maybe not.

Go try it out and see what it will do. :)

This is not the first time that I had seen this before, thought you guys would get a kick out of it, because I know that no one here would ever do this.

Right? No really you guys wouldnt do this.....

Anyway this chain is junk anyway and its going in the trash can that sets beside the vice this chain is sitting on.

I have seen a few like that over the last 30 some years where it was repaired and someone stuck in a tooth instead of a flat plate...Bob

This is not the first time that I had seen this before, thought you guys would get a kick out of it, because I know that no one here would ever do this.

Right? No really you guys wouldnt do this.....

Anyway this chain is junk anyway and its going in the trash can that sets beside the vice this chain is sitting on.

I got a kick out of it man. Like "redneck sawchain repair".

It had to be someone who broke a chain and put that in for a drivelink I guess. That or they are smokin the good stuff.:confused:

I got a kick out of it man. Like "redneck sawchain repair".

It had to be someone who broke a chain and put that in for a drivelink I guess. That or they are smokin the good stuff.:confused:

I think it would be more of a problem if it were done on a higher rpm modern saw. The saws had less power, larger displacement and ran much slower. Plus, they all seemed to use larger chassis chain than the equivalent size saw today. My 50's David Bradly is 76cc and runs 1/2" chipper. The chain is huge compared to todays 3/8 and I would expect much less prone to breakage.

I just see a regular chipper chain someone joined together at two aternate cutters, seen this many times over the years.
Pioneerguy600

Looks like semi chisel to me? Wierd setup though and not rounded enough for chipper.

I'm not sure when they quit making chipper chain. Probably 20 or more years ago? Don't know, I never used it much.
Chipper chain was rounded rather than having a corner on the cutter. It would cut a long time before becoming completely dull. Maybe because it was never too sharp to begin with.

Andy

I don't think they have quit making it. Carlton Chipper still available from the Australian importers no problem at all. I've got a few hundred feet of 3/8" and a hundred foot of .404" - I'm not sure if chipper is available from other manufacturers?
Chipper actually cuts quite well. I'll try to get vids up soon comparing a few new out of the box chain types against one another on the same saw in the same wood. If you said that semi chisel is 10% slower than full chisel then chipper is probably about 10% slower than semi chisel. Lasts for ages though. Highly underrated by many, particularly those who cut dirty wood.

Back