Check out this highly modified muffler on Poulan 45

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
A neighbor heard that I play around with chainsaws so offered me this Poulan 45 that I just couldn't resist. I haven't started cleaning it up or anything yet but wanted to share the abuse it took with you all with hopes there might be some suggestions on how to proceed cleaning it up and getting it into running condition?

It is a a Poulan 45 made only one year 1963-64 and 82cc.

Here it is beside my Stihl Contra 106cc to show its size.

attachment.php

Both the chain and bar appear to be original but in obvious bad shape...It doesn't look to me that the rakers were ever filed down despite the teeth being sharpened to the point that there is hardly any tooth left.

attachment.php

But here is the most interesting thing about this saw. Note the lack of a screen on the muffler! I can only imagine the owner gained some power by removing the screen from the front of the muffler.

attachment.php

So here's what the exhaust port looks like once the muffler is removed! Any advice on cleaning it - tooth picks, metal picks ??? I assume it is carboned up with saw dust. The piston and cylinder don't look scored - what little of them I can see through the carbon!!!

attachment.php

Any advice on making a new muffler cover or is there a source of another cover. The other problem the saw has is that the rewind mechanism seems to be broken. I can rewind the starting rope and it will turn the cylinder over but then stays out.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks...Carl

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
If you want to keep that saw running you will need to pull the jug and clean the carbon. If you do not you will end up losing some down the bore.

Bill

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Looks like I'll be shipping all my short blocks up your way. I've just been going to the car wash with a spray bottle of purple cleaner.

ha ha lol, ship em out. Shipping costs might not be worth it though.

But man do I love that parts washer. It makes stuff look like new!!! I could scrub for hours and hours, and not get as clean as one of these, jet clean parts washers, its solution is also heated to 175deg.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
You can fix that bar (and chain too if you want..) with Evapo-rust...

There's a parts washer like Bryce's on Seattle Cl for $1300 right now...

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Yes, beautifully. It will only remove iron oxides. Degrease the bar/chain first in purple cleaner or whatever. Keep the solution over 70F (inside room temp).

You can get it at harbor fright

Latest posts