Cherry mantel and slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your small mill frame is a cool design, not seen one like that before.
Looks like you're getting a bit of washboarding on your cuts, do you get that with both your setups?

Plan on keeping it around until someone else wants it or one day build something with it.

I get the washboard with the 3120. That’s a brand new chain and I haven’t sharpened it yet. Pretty used chain on the 362 that I sharpen by hand and get a lot cleaner cut with it. Usually I run a 064 with the aluminum mill

Plan on keeping it around until someone else wants it or one day build something with it.

I get the washboard with the 3120. That’s a brand new chain and I haven’t sharpened it yet. Pretty used chain on the 362 that I sharpen by hand and get a lot cleaner cut with it. Usually I run a 064 with the aluminum mill
I was wondering if that was cut with the 3120... I have found sometimes when using a longer bar than necessary a sort of harmonic can happen when conditions (wood type, cut width, chain profile, etc) are just right (or wrong) & it makes it much harder to get a good finish

Really unique looking mill setups, especially the aluminum one. Is it all home-brew? I like the clamp type to the bar better than what my alaskan mill has (pointed screws that dent the bar).

Nice looking lumber.
The washboarding is a bit unfortunate and I would try to clean that up to minimize the amount of sanding required!

The waves could also be from unevern feed rate. I did up a bunch of Poplar and noticed when I was getting tired I wasn't as consistent with the travel speed of the saw and would get a weird looking cut pattern on the boards. Lucky for me it didn't matter as it was going behind a wall anyway.

Really unique looking mill setups, especially the aluminum one. Is it all home-brew? I like the clamp type to the bar better than what my alaskan mill has (pointed screws that dent the bar).

Nice looking lumber.
The washboarding is a bit unfortunate and I would try to clean that up to minimize the amount of sanding required!
Is would need to be router milled anyway so not really a big deal. You can go over it with the chainsaw first to make less router sled work.

Latest posts

Back