Cherry tree oozing red gel from trunk and branches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-M

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
13729051_10207037021264647_6101671754025904386_n.jpg

13690736_10207037021424651_9162220245402684227_n.jpg

5 or 6 years ago a big spruce tree fell on this little cherry tree ant took half of it out. It never really recovered. It only grows about half to a third as many leaves as it should, and when it blooms in the spring time, its done in 24 hours. Last year I noticed a couple tiny spots of this red gel where some branches were broken. This year there are blobs of it on over a dozen branches, and even on the trunk, not near any wounds.

Heres a pic of the whole tree. It seems like the leaves are starting to turn on it already, in mid july

Could be the injury from years ago, but also could be bug infestation, or could be canker disease. If there's any sawdust in the sap, that'd be bugs. If the wood is rotten under the sap, that may be disease or fungus. For bugs, you need to spray insecticide. For disease, you need to dig it out carefully but completely.

Thanks for the replies. I cant find any evidence of bugs, no holes, no sawdust. Its also gotten a lot worse in the past month, virtually every branch, no matter how small has some. After reading up on gummosis, I dont think this ones worth saving.

Next question: Is it still safe to burn the wood indoors?

Thanks for the replies. I cant find any evidence of bugs, no holes, no sawdust. Its also gotten a lot worse in the past month, virtually every branch, no matter how small has some. After reading up on gummosis, I dont think this ones worth saving.

Next question: Is it still safe to burn the wood indoors?
Yes. The borers won't infest the wood in your house. Wood should be seasoned (left to dry for a year or so) anyways.

Yeah couple good truck loads of firewood there sure wouldn't want to waste it putting it in a small dumpster !!!

Latest posts

Back