Cherry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldSawRunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My mom has a wild cherry tree she wants cut down that has some limb damage from the ice stormfrom Jan. '07. It is a pretty tall tree, and has a slight crook in the trunk of the tree. It is about 12-14" DBH. She said she wants it cut into firewood, but if it is a nice solid tree, I would like to try to make someting out of it. I do not have a CSM, and I do not know anyone that does. My uncle knows someone that has a sawmill, so I thought about having it milled up there. My question is: How long should I make the logs? I would like to make either a small table or a cabinet type thing. My uncle has alot of woodworking tools, and I am sure he would help me out in the making process. Thanks guys:)

Most sawmills here want 8'-6", 10'-6", 12'-6", etc. but since this is a custom job you can make them what ever length you want as long as they aren't too short or too long for the mill.

I'd suggest calling a local sawmill before you buck them.

Cut it down, then ..

Just use a standard chainsaw with a bar long enough to go through it, cut a flat face on the worst side, leaving a D shaped log. Then take it to a wood worker who has a bandsaw, and mill it up with a standard bandsaw. With a dbh of 12-14 ", it is probably too small to take to a mill, and wouldn't yield enough usable heartwood to make it worth milling.:chainsaw:

I'd measure it to see where the crook is... You will need to saw it at that point forsure to get the crook out. What will that leave you for logs on both sides of the crook?? That will probably determine what there length will be.

I'd try to get all the logs at least 8'-6", and all the same so they are easier to sticker all together in one pile when they are drying...

Cherry is my favorite log to saw, and there's NO way i'd let it go to firewood!!

standard.jpg

Rob

I agree with Rob If you have a use for cherry lumber don't make fire wood.
If you have a sawmill that will make good lumber out of it do not butcher it with a chain saw. You already know the sizes. Keep a photo log of the whole procces so that when you pass it on to the next generation they can under stand where that Desk, Table, or what ever you make came from, and build with pride.

If your mom wants it for firewood and you take it for lumber, make sure you bring her an equal amount of firewood from another source... :)

Ian

I agree with Rob If you have a use for cherry lumber don't make fire wood.
If you have a sawmill that will make good lumber out of it do not butcher it with a chain saw. You already know the sizes. Keep a photo log of the whole procces so that when you pass it on to the next generation they can under stand where that Desk, Table, or what ever you make came from, and build with pride.

Good advise.

I checked out your website. Pretty impressive. Welcome to AS!

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back