Chestnut grove sapling care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarhollow

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recently got 500 chestnut saplings from a state forestry nursery and converted a hay field into what we are hoping will be a nut grove/wildlife draw.
We got 400 of them in the ground in 10 foot rows 10 feet apart before the leaves started popping out and put 100 in a mother bed till winter rolls around.
we dug holes with shovels and watered them in one at a time.
we plan on staking each one to aid in mowing around them without cutting any down.
Any suggestions on care would be appreciated

Soil test for sure. This will enable you to put together a proper fertility program.

Keep them mulched and as weed free as possible until established.

Research the common pests and diseases of the genus.

Thanks, I never even thought about mulch, I'm going to have local extension agent do soil test and as far as keeping weeds from choking the out should I think mechanical or chemical. maybe stihl's bedding attachment for the km130?

Thanks for the great ideas. I have a couple rolls of hardware cloth and chicken wire, guess I'll get work making tubes.

They came from the W. VA state forestry nursery which were grown from seed from UT program from what I have read. I believe the UT program crossbred different varieties to get what is currently being planted.

Back