Chicago area loads firewood logs 250 bucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I figure here might be a better chance of getting the right folks. I know very few people from my area are on this site but if i get any response cool! Sorry if I upset the elders, you can't take me out back...

I work for a tree service in the west burbs of chicago we always have more logs then we know what to do with normally it just goes in the tub grinder...

I can put together a load of, most likely ash, and some other hardwood for 250 bucks delivered within a reasonable distance from our shop up probably 30 to 45 mins.
The truck is a tandem axle grapple holds about 4 cords. If interested shoot me a pm. Or post here

4130be6d141db07df959f468b150718d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That kind of money for yard trees seems a little high to me. I bet folks would buy it if you asked for left. Around me tree services advertise that they get rid of their wood for free if people want it on the back of their trucks.

Well, this isn't the response you're looking for, but maybe some extra traffic on the thread will help. I'm wondering about how you like your truck.

A friend of mine is just starting a tree service. Currently he rents a dump trailer for debris removal. In my area, it's easy to dump brush, so no one runs chippers. He's considering a gooseneck dump trailer with a knuckle boom loader, but I've got a line on a self loader like what you've got with the grapple in the back. Obviously it doesn't dump. Do you find that it's a pain to unload with the grapple versus a dump type setup? Anything you'd do different on that rig? Do you use it for brush cleanup, or just logs?

Honestly, I'm thinking that for my buddy's operation a dump trailer and a skid steer with a grapple is probably the cheapest and most versatile option, but obviously requires going back for the skid steer after dumping brush.

A guy I work for on and off has a dump trailer and skid steer. When he can he just slashes the brush like you described, but still chips. It turned out to be less labor to back the chipper up to the slash pile instead of dragging it to the skid steer. For us both disposal methods worked equally well.

That kind of money for yard trees seems a little high to me. I bet folks would buy it if you asked for left. Around me tree services advertise that they get rid of their wood for free if people want it on the back of their trucks.
A lot of services give it away for free they give it all away the whole tree so you get all kinds of ugly crap rotten nasty crotches willow cotton wood you name it it'll be in the load! I only put nice logs on my loads. So are yard trees worth less for firewood?
Well, this isn't the response you're looking for, but maybe some extra traffic on the thread will help. I'm wondering about how you like your truck.

A friend of mine is just starting a tree service. Currently he rents a dump trailer for debris removal. In my area, it's easy to dump brush, so no one runs chippers. He's considering a gooseneck dump trailer with a knuckle boom loader, but I've got a line on a self loader like what you've got with the grapple in the back. Obviously it doesn't dump. Do you find that it's a pain to unload with the grapple versus a dump type setup? Anything you'd do different on that rig? Do you use it for brush cleanup, or just logs?

Honestly, I'm thinking that for my buddy's operation a dump trailer and a skid steer with a grapple is probably the cheapest and most versatile option, but obviously requires going back for the skid steer after dumping brush.
We use it for brush stumps and logs it's a ***** with brush with the stakes but can be done I would much rather have metal all the way up. It take 2 or 3 grabs to unload a good brush load so maybe a couple mins. with logs we stack a lot of our logs so dumping wouldn't help us in that regard but if you could dump it and run yes it would be easier but still only take a good operator 10 mins to unload our truck. When you have a bunch of crap in the bed short logs stump shavings rotten dirty brush piles dumping would be 500 times better. Continuous rotation clam gets rid of all the hoses that get pulled on other then that the truck is pretty badass.
A guy I work for on and off has a dump trailer and skid steer. When he can he just slashes the brush like you described, but still chips. It turned out to be less labor to back the chipper up to the slash pile instead of dragging it to the skid steer. For us both disposal methods worked equally well.
With a grapple truck if you can get right up on the work you can feed the chipper with the grapple those days are easy peasy as long as your chipper guy knows how to cut crotches.
If I was in your area and needed wood that isn't too bad of a price for 4 cords. Around me the loggers get 100-120 a cord for hardwood mix delivered.
I put an ad on Craigslist the weekend before Thanksgiving had 4 hits by monday 3 loads delivered this Saturday and everybody was more then happy one guy wouldn't even take the whole load because it was too much. It seems like everybody was tired of the 3 foot plus diameter logs, the crotches, and nasty wood. 90% of the material I delivered was logger load quality.

Thanks for the input on the truck.

Re: your price, I think it's very good if the logs are selected for firewood logs. To me, tree service logs (yard trees) are worth less than forest trees because what you get from a tree service usually has big crotches, goofy short chunks, etc. And much more potential for nails and other surprises. But since it sounds like you're selling nicer loads, that price sounds good. Around here a log truck of about 10-11 cords goes for a grand.

You have a P.M.
You will get a call tomorrow the gf won't appreciate a phone call in bed haha.
Thanks for the input on the truck.

Re: your price, I think it's very good if the logs are selected for firewood logs. To me, tree service logs (yard trees) are worth less than forest trees because what you get from a tree service usually has big crotches, goofy short chunks, etc. And much more potential for nails and other surprises. But since it sounds like you're selling nicer loads, that price sounds good. Around here a log truck of about 10-11 cords goes for a grand.
Yea I hand pick them, all the crap goes in the grinder pile. now there's gonna be a few crotches but not big nasty ones most everything I send out is under 18 " unless bigger is asked for all pretty straight.

A lot of services give it away for free they give it all away the whole tree so you get all kinds of ugly crap rotten nasty crotches willow cotton wood you name it it'll be in the load! I only put nice logs on my loads. So are yard trees worth less for firewood?

With a grapple truck if you can get right up on the work you can feed the chipper with the grapple those days are easy peasy as long as your chipper guy knows how to cut crotches.
Yard trees are just worth less. Too much steel and the like for mills to take a risk and the firewood guys are smart enough to know it. Wouldn't get too offended, thats just the way the market is for yard trees.

I think I have pics somewhere where I can get furniture grade logs (red oak, 13ft, 28 in dia, no knots, no rot) dumped on me for free, see if I can post them. Where I am the forests are something like 65% oak, 10% maple, 5% birch, probably 5% hickory, and the rest is various softwoods. Never cut a cottonwood in my life and never seen one in person honestly. Where I am even the firewood guys, like myself, get to be picky about what we are brought. A load you sell I would not take for free unless I wanted green wood. I can ask my supply guys for dry wood and they are happy to oblige me since so few folks will take anything over 16 in.

I don't know about you, but a lot of jobs I have worked on are too tight to get even a skid steer to the tree so the trees get climbed and the brush gets dragged out and the rounds are rolled out. I would not just handle jobs one way. Flexibility is the name of the game.

Yard trees are just worth less. Too much steel and the like for mills to take a risk and the firewood guys are smart enough to know it. Wouldn't get too offended, thats just the way the market is for yard trees.

I think I have pics somewhere where I can get furniture grade logs (red oak, 13ft, 28 in dia, no knots, no rot) dumped on me for free, see if I can post them. Where I am the forests are something like 65% oak, 10% maple, 5% birch, probably 5% hickory, and the rest is various softwoods. Never cut a cottonwood in my life and never seen one in person honestly. Where I am even the firewood guys, like myself, get to be picky about what we are brought. A load you sell I would not take for free unless I wanted green wood. I can ask my supply guys for dry wood and they are happy to oblige me since so few folks will take anything over 16 in.

I don't know about you, but a lot of jobs I have worked on are too tight to get even a skid steer to the tree so the trees get climbed and the brush gets dragged out and the rounds are rolled out. I would not just handle jobs one way. Flexibility is the name of the game.
Totally different here everybody sells split wood priced high. Not many good people give away wood.

We do removals with a crane you get big logs. Here is a tip get a log cart stop rolling firewood out of the back yard.

Ps 3 more loads sold today keep on hatin haters[emoji8]

I can ask my supply guys for dry wood and they are happy to oblige me

I don't quite understand this 'dry wood' in log form. I'm cutting/splitting a twenty cord truck load I had delivered a year ago. Not any drier than if the trees were dropped yesterday. Just plain wet and heavy Oak. I drove by a processor about a month ago and spoke to a young woman there. I asked if they had seasoned firewood, as all I saw was piles of logs and a dump truck parked under the conveyor. She said yes, their logs were seasoned six months old. Am I missing something?

the price for a 6-7 cord load of logs is $750-800 delivered. you price seems fair for what you say you have. good luck with your sales. C/L can be a good place to move wood as long as your ad tells them exactly what they are gettin. GLWS.

I would pay that price all day for quality logs delivered and dropped. Especially near a big city like Chicago where split and seasoned cords of high quality hardwood sell for $300+.

Anyone who says they are getting veneer quality oak logs dropped off for free are full of it or there is more to that story than told.

Here is about 4 cord of "worthless" yard tree pin oak. Worth about a grand around these parts.

20160903_142404.jpg

Totally different here everybody sells split wood priced high. Not many good people give away wood.

We do removals with a crane you get big logs. Here is a tip get a log cart stop rolling firewood out of the back yard.

Ps 3 more loads sold today keep on hatin haters[emoji8]

Try fitting a decent size crane down New England roads! A lot of jobs had driveways so tight we needed to fold the mirrors in on the 1 tons we used to back in or pull in.

Very different market from where you are. I don't have good pictures, but I did added the best ones I had. I absolutely, swear on a bible did not pay a dime for these and the folks were happy to give the wood away AND drop it off. If you do not belive me call the Stamford, CT office of Lewis tree. Thats where I got the wood that is pictured, excluding the last load. That is more typical of what I get dumped. Also, when I say dry I should have said 'standing dead'. Belive me, I know where i used to live in Maine I would not be so lucky to get any wood for free. Firewood here sells for $225-$375 a cord depending on who sells it and whether it is kiln dried.
oak logs.jpg oak pile.jpg sad firewood.jpg nov 18 first load.jpg

And yeah, we use a cart or a wheelbarrow when we can, but honestly, sometimes it is easier to roll them if they are straight and not fuss with lifting them at all.

Cutting and rolling logs would add hours and hours onto our day that's bloody nonsensical
3e08bb2609a8c87cdd941533323a10a4.jpg
2500 pounds rolled to the front in a min, you are still halfway through your first cut.

I roll our crane down some narrow roads here it's a pain but if you know how to drive it ain't to complicated
c929a194d866b7af0832505f8c43dc9d.jpg
serves us well picked this 44 dbh tree outa the backyard!

Latest posts

Back