chime in if you run a stock saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my saws are stone stock, and I feel no need to modify them in any way. My Husqvarna 262XP and 268XP are excellent in stock form. My "go to" saw is the 55 Husqvarna, as I cut a lot of tops these days. It's a closed port version, and has plenty of high rpm power and torque for the size of the saw, never saw a need to mod it in any way.

The Echo CS-510 was a TURD without opening up the muffler, so some saws respond well to modifications, or need some help. I'm thinking also that at least half of my saws are early models, and may not have been subject to emissions or had restrictive mufflers on them anyhow?.....Cliff

I used to think saws were just for cuttin' wood, hence they're both stock..

But, both conditions are subject to change. Particularly in the case of the 257, since the saw I wanted to buy was the 262...

Most of my saws are stock. My Pooplan is not, muffler mod, limiter caps are trimmed and compression made a bit higher. I can't bring myself to mod a newer or under warranty saw (YET!!).

All mine are stock. I do agree with Erick, though, that a muffler mod simply returns a saw to the original manufacturers design before emissions and noise restrictions. Aside from that, porting and polishing is for your toys.

All stock here. Modded saws are like modded cars-if you can do it and enjoy it, then do it. I am not a mechanic and don't want to open more worm buckets than I already have!

All of 'em (as far as I know, I bought them all used).

I thought about modding a muffler here or there, but I hate noise, and they all run well! Why mess with 'em?!?!

The 044 is stock, no complaints.
The 460, it's broke. It has a muffler mod.
The Homelite Timberman... why mod that thing?

My 372xp use to tire my wrist/forearms. I blamed it on the anti-vibe. After it was modded it didn't tire my wrist/forearms out as bad.
I figure out it was because I was pushing it though the wood harder when it was stock. Modded it was fast so it didn't push as hard.

All my Stihl are stock and will most likely stay that way.

I'll second (third?) the notion that opening up a muffler allows the saw to perform as originally designed. So I at least consider this on the saws I own. I have done one mild port job to date and it is working out great. But this is my saw and always will be.. not so for many of the rest. I will probably end up having a few saws that I do this to, but my preference is for stock porting with a muff mod if necessary.

Just muffler mods on the 260 and 440. I'll probably port the 440 after I'm done with the 066, though. 260 will likely just stay as it is.

Latest posts

Back