chime in if you run a stock saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
and if you dont need your saw moded.

seems all the questions latlely are wich saw is best modded. so i was curious how small the stock saw crowd is now.

Gas this means you

mine are modded but i could live with them stock. specialy if i needed them to make living day in and day out

Right now my "go to" saw is the 262XP. As far as I know it is stock and s'all I need. I do have a couple modded saws in the shop, but that is hobby stuff ya know.

I have a few stock saws. But none of them are saws that I use for work. The only exception is the 390XPG and I just haven't gotten around to modding it yet. Do I need my saws ported? Nope. I don't even need most of my saws. Wait a minute! Yes, I do need my saws modded. Badly!!! LOL. ALL OF THEM! And I need more saws too:dizzy:

got pic pf they smiley, is it alittle bue smiley. ive got a few saws that had the same thing on them. all aquired at difrent times and difrent places.

brad.

what kinda work do you do

im looking for the gasser crowd

Do muffler mods void this? Other than that, all of our saws are stock. But we arent loggers either. Just some hicks with CAD, cuttin firewood.

All My saws are stock.........

Im still wondering what Ins. company will allow modding saws..........Any body modding for money better have a lot of liability Ins....Not home owners Ins......Business Ins.......My Business poilicy states no mods or alterations and all oem safety items must operable upon customer pick up.......

and if you dont need your saw moded.

seems all the questions latlely are wich saw is best modded. so i was curious how small the stock saw crowd is now.

Gas this means you

mine are modded but i could live with them stock. specialy if i needed them to make living day in and day out

Lately the 036 and 066 are wearing piston/cylinder sets and mufflers that were modified to see if they could be saved from the scrap pile. That seems to be the direction that the hobby has headed. Largely just for the challenge beyond just strapping on undamaged parts. Usually stock saws because that is what is in the collection. However after enough duplicates are around sometimes the spares get a little extra attention.

I would think that I typically would belong in the stock saw crowd. I would not sell a modified saw.

Evan, In the past I have asked most of the "professionals" (that I have met)from the area and they all say stock only. It is not worth the extra expense and risk to them anymore. Even the big firewood guys are done with it.

Also there are no longer any local branded shops that will work on saws with broken or altered parts. If the chain brake does not work they will not put a carb kit in unless they can repair the brake as well. Commercial saws cannot leave without all the factory installed parts being operational, spark screens for example. If you brought them a saw with modified muffler they would sell you a factory muffler for you to install and then have you drop off the saw. It got strict fast it will be interesting to see if it lasts.

Last edited:
A couple are, but they are loud, spitting beasts that go through a lot of gas, leak gas and scare people. So I only let them out once in a while.:greenchainsaw:

All stock apart from the 180 and 341 which have mild muffler mods.
660 will be getting a dual port cover soon.

A minor muffler mod and going without a base gasket are about the only things I would do. Good simple mods with little to no long term risk.

All my saws are stock. I really dont have an itch to mod them. If I need more power I buy a bigger saw. Guess its the CAD talking. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back