chimney fire or close to it ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I haven't had that bad a chimney fire where flames are shooting out or tons of brown smoke is coming out like the vids. It did sound like a low rumble while it was going though so it must not have been that bad a fire.

I suspect what you're calling a rumble is what I call boiling...you can hear the creosote boiling and bubbling and snapping but it's not *quite* enough to ignite. It's almost there though.

Like I said, I've done it once myself :)

In my early days of burning about five years ago, I got the stove hot enough a couple of times to get that acrid smoke smell in the house. Griddle temp on our VC Vigilant was over 800. I had gone to bed with the stove still in vertical burn mode.

When starting a fire I usually keep the front door cracked an inch or so until the fire is roaring good. I set a ten minute timer on my cell phone. The stove is in the living room and we are usually watching TV out in the sun room.

I don't think we've come close to a chimney fire but I sure don't like that scorched paint/burning creosote smell.

Took a look yesterday up the chimney, and did not see anything out of the ordinary. While I had the the clean out tee open I went ahead and ran my brush up, I may have gotten a small coffee can full maybe, considering my chimney is 36 ft. I dont think thats bad. So this evening I will fire the stove up, small short fire at first considering its going to be 60* here. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back