Chimney Liner Question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original post did not mention the use of a furnace, but does the clay-tiled flue meet this code?

As long as the flue is in good shape ...yes a clay lined flue is a class A flue.

Next issue.....
Is it the right size for the appliance?

Hey if there's anyone that needs a flue liner or a new flue we sell Simpson's Duravent at 30% off of retail.No tax,just freight.
Call me for a quote.800-358-0060

Last edited:
Why do you have to break out the terra-cotta?

I had a reputable chimney sweep come out and clean/inspect my terra-cotta chimney before I dropped my liner down.

When I put in my Quadrafire insert, with the help of my brother in law, I lined a 25' chimney in a couple of hours with no prior experience.

I went to Lowes and bought a 6" galvanized duct end cap for a couple bucks. Drilled a hole in this, put a rope through and knotted it, then used 4 screws to connect to the end of the liner as my puller.

A 25' length of flexible 6" Stainless was under $300, shipped.

Last edited:
Why do you have to break out the terra-cotta?

I had a reputable chimney sweep come out and clean/inspect my terra-cotta chimney before I dropped my liner down.

YOU DON'T!!!

2/3 of the chimney sweeps in this area seem to all be in kahootz in order to charge unwitting customers a LOT of extra $$ on re-lining their chimney.

Now, to be fair, there may be a time when you need to break out the liner. The only real reason I can think of, though, is if chunks of the terra-cotta liners are literally falling down the flue and would continue to do so after the liner was installed.

Again, I have absolutely NO confidence in the wood appliance exhaust industry in Dane County, WI. They all have their opinions and say that the other people you've talked to are full of Baloney-Sausage

/Rant

You can spend all day arguing against the wisdom of codes; it will still be your fault when the place burns down.Imagine the insurance company interviewing the sweep after a fire.
I still think the clay liner should stay.Take a look at this:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1983-09-01/Relining-Masonry-Chimneys.aspx

I have seen this done in the past, without the stainless liner and using an inflatable "hot dog" apparatus to form the new flue.Sound like you have the room for this if you are using a 6" appliance, fact it might be worth the effort to find a boiler that uses 6" for this very reason.

Latest posts

Back