Chimney question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can I put two stoves on the same chimney?

I have a centrally located brick chimney that runs from the basement, through floors 1 and two, then the attic. There are several places that are plugged off where it appears stove pipe has been used throughout all the floors.

I didnt think you could use multiple stoves on the same chimney, I thought it would mess up your draft, but maybe I am wrong...somebody straighten me out.:dizzy:

Can I put two stoves on the same chimney?

I have a centrally located brick chimney that runs from the basement, through floors 1 and two, then the attic. There are several places that are plugged off where it appears stove pipe has been used throughout all the floors.

I didnt think you could use multiple stoves on the same chimney, I thought it would mess up your draft, but maybe I am wrong...somebody straighten me out.:dizzy:

all depends on the size of the flue, and the condition
you need a pro to look at that, not a batch of yahoos on the internet.

cant??? really--i do--and its a class a chimney in excellent shape--they had three wood burners plumbed into it at one time---its a 10 inch inside dia----

cant??? really--i do--and its a class a chimney in excellent shape--they had three wood burners plumbed into it at one time---its a 10 inch inside dia----

that was the first question to ask: how big is the flue in the chimney?

Flue
The opening in the chimney through which smoke passes is called the flue. To provide adequate room for smoke passage and draft development, flues must be carefully sized in relation to stove capacity and chimney height. In general, flue size should be 25 percent larger than the size of the stove pipe, which connects the stove to the chimney. This means a stove with a 6-inch diameter pipe would require at least an 8-inch flue; an 8-inch stove pipe requires a 10-inch flue, etc.
Smoke moves up the flue in a swirling pattern. Round flues are more efficient than square or rectangular ones because they offer little obstruction to the natural flow of smoke. For best performance, the inner surface of flues should be as smooth as possible.

One frequently asked question about chimneys for wood stoves is "Can a stove be connected to an existing flue that serves another appliance?" National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) requirements prohibit connecting a stove to a chimney flue serving a fireplace. This requirement has been incorporated into most building codes and insurance regulations. The NFPA recommends that each stove be connected to a separate flue. This reduces interference between units and increases the efficiency of each stove.

http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/agengin/g01732.htm

WHAT?ARE YOU CALLING ME A YAHOO??
Okay, I guess when I think about it...I guess I am...
But, in all honesty, you are going to get some good opinions on this board from some very proffesional people. i wouldnt discount what is said on this board. Some of the best information to be found, and its free.
Besides, i dont know about you all, but we have plenty of yahoos running around in the yellow pages around here.

Flue size and similar combustible materials comes to mind on this.

No go to connect gas to oil, or oil to wood, or oil to gas in the same flue/chimney, or any combination of dissimilar fuels. As long as flue is sized properly, not sure why you couldn't have more than one wood appliance connected to the same chimney/flue; especially if the connection point for both fixtures is at the beginning of the run.

We had a kitchen wood stove and a family room wood stove hooked up that way for years. No trouble with either one.

Last edited:
Flue
The opening in the chimney through which smoke passes is called the flue. To provide adequate room for smoke passage and draft development, flues must be carefully sized in relation to stove capacity and chimney height. In general, flue size should be 25 percent larger than the size of the stove pipe, which connects the stove to the chimney. This means a stove with a 6-inch diameter pipe would require at least an 8-inch flue; an 8-inch stove pipe requires a 10-inch flue, etc.
Smoke moves up the flue in a swirling pattern. Round flues are more efficient than square or rectangular ones because they offer little obstruction to the natural flow of smoke. For best performance, the inner surface of flues should be as smooth as possible.

One frequently asked question about chimneys for wood stoves is "Can a stove be connected to an existing flue that serves another appliance?" National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) requirements prohibit connecting a stove to a chimney flue serving a fireplace. This requirement has been incorporated into most building codes and insurance regulations. The NFPA recommends that each stove be connected to a separate flue. This reduces interference between units and increases the efficiency of each stove.

http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/agengin/g01732.htm

Flue size and similar combustible materials comes to mind on this.

No go to connect gas to oil, or oil to wood, or oil to gas in the same flue/chimney, or any combination of dissimilar fuels. As long as flue is sized properly, not sure why you couldn't have more than one wood appliance connected to the same chimney/flue; especially if the connection point for both fixtures is at the beginning of the run.

We had a kitchen wood stove and a family room wood stove hooked up that way for years. No trouble with either one.

two excellent replies.

these two replies from the forum "yahoos" was worth spending a couple hundred bucks to have an "expert" come out and tell you the same thing.

both fire code questions and your size question have been answered.

two excellent replies.

these two replies from the forum "yahoos" was worth spending a couple hundred bucks to have an "expert" come out and tell you the same thing.

both fire code questions and your size question have been answered.

yep yahoo, and the guys who said ya go ahead
there are some things you need a professional for
hell let him burn down his house.

I say no....

When I installed my woodstove, Insurance agent nine.....Each appliance on own intake/exhaust. No exceptions, Here inMinnesota anyway.....

Here inMinnesota anyway.....

ok...he should check with his local fire codes.

some areas probably have nothing on that, while others have plenty of language.

yo man...didn't i see you recently ask questions about your boiler unit?

and, didn't someone suggest that you hire a professional to come over and pay him for his advice?

and, did you not keep asking questions.....????

i'm no "yahoo" and if i can't give advice on a subject i usually remain quiet. the last thing i'd want to do is tell someone how to do something when they could endanger their life or property. but, there are some things i and many others here have knowledge in and two guys gave excellent advice, which i stated as being so.

no one should do anything without consulting their building/fire codes to begin with, and no one should be messing with high pressure boilers. but, i see no problem having an open discussion about it either.

yo man...didn't i see you recently ask questions about your boiler unit?

and, didn't someone suggest that you hire a professional to come over and pay him for his advice?

and, did you not keep asking questions.....????

i'm no "yahoo" and if i can't give advice on a subject i usually remain quiet. the last thing i'd want to do is tell someone how to do something when they could endanger their life or property. but, there are some things i and many others here have knowledge in and two guys gave excellent advice, which i stated as being so.

no one should do anything without consulting their building/fire codes to begin with, and no one should be messing with high pressure boilers. but, i see no problem having an open discussion about it either.

life safety issues are a big thing, after the first two answers said no, the third said yes, and then he jumped on the yes answer, and forgot about the no answers. when a house burns down because of some answer on the Internet...will the Internet pay for what his insurance company denies him. i am not putting my family life on the line with an answer on the Internet...yes i did ask a question, and guess what found my answer for what i needed...will my family be harmed if did something wrong with my question, no...my furnace mignt not work...but hey then it will be my fault...if this guys house burns down, because he followed a answer from here...could you live with it.....guess we will agree to disagree

Last edited:
rules and regulations--nothing wrong with that---but give me a break---yes--there were houses that burnt down years ago--why???? a lot people didnt cure the wood...hence creosote in chimney--then fire----and im serious---there at one time was fuel oil, nat gas, and wood burner into this same chimney--and it has a round CLAY liner-----and ive had no problems--and it drafts real hard!!! my insurance co said all was ok-----------they asked plenty of questions!!!!!!

I remember at least 3 houses we lived in in my youth that had a wood heater in the living room and a kitchen cook stove on the same chimney....that said I do belive the current bldg/fire codes prohibits this nowaday...Don't mean it can't/won't work.. just means it's a code no-no...

Latest posts

Back