Chimney question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
life safety issues are a big thing, after the first two answers said no, the third said yes, and then he jumped on the yes answer, and forgot about the no answers. when a house burns down because of some answer on the Internet...will the Internet pay for what his insurance company denies him. i am not putting my family life on the line with an answer on the Internet...yes i did ask a question, and guess what found my answer for what i needed...will my family be harmed if did something wrong with my question, no...my furnace mignt not work...but hey then it will be my fault...if this guys house burns down, because he followed a answer from here...could you live with it.....guess we will agree to disagree

i sleep well at night, regardless.

we have numerous discussions on here about everything from burning wood to running equipment.

if i suggest to a newcomer to run out and buy a 24" chainsaw and he cuts his leg off because it's too heavy for him, are you saying i'd should feel responsible?

heh...better guess again.

everything here is a discussion. period. it is in no way intended to circumvent any local building codes or fire codes, and i believe most people understand that. that being the case, if everyone thought like you, then every forum owner and/or members could be sued for giving bad advice.

when you join a discussion forum, you understand this, or, at least should understand that. i've read everything from chain sharpening to boilers to electrical wiring to hydraulics to heavy equipment here from people asking questions.

as for the OP, the question was: Can I put two stoves on the same chimney? hell, he can put 20 stoves on one chimney, but the follow up would it be legal or not or would it physically work.

this is from one city's building code book:

Flue – The opening in the chimney through which smoke passes is called the flue. In general, flue size should be 25% larger than the size of the stove pipe connecting the stove to the chimney. For example, a stove with a six inch diameter pipe would require at least an 8 inch flue. Smoke travels up the flue in a swirling pattern making round flues are more efficient than square or rectangular ones which offer more obstruction to the natural flow of smoke. NFPA requirements prohibit connecting a stove to a chimney flue serving a fireplace and recommends that each stove be connected to a separate flue. If 2 stoves are combined into one flue, each should have a separate damper or air‐tight capability.

source:

http://www.ci.petersburg.ak.us/pdf&docs/woodstove_installation_guide.pdf

however, in maine they view it differently:

b. Multiple Connections
More than one wood burning appliance should not be connected to a
common flue. A chimney connector should not be connected to a flue
serving a fireplace or an oil furnace. They should have their own
individual flues.
One reason for this is that the sparks can enter the house through a
fireplace opening serving a woodstove elsewhere along the line. Both a
fireplace opening and an oil furnace’s barometric damper will furnish
large quantities of air to their flues. In the event of a chimney fire, this
will hamper any attempts to extinguish the fire by restricting airflow to the
flue. Using a wood-burning stove on a flue serving an oil furnace may
also reduce the efficiency of the oil furnace, due to the change in draft
characteristics of the flue. Multiple connections sometimes result in
insufficient draft. If two or more stoves are connected to the same
chimney flue, despite the recommendations against doing so, the
connectors must enter the chimney at different elevations.

source:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/fmo/documents/2005Woodburningguide_000.pdf

Last edited:
code--written by??? answer the question with who fits the bill---ive dealt with one ins co out of des moines iowa---first rate thieves---love the co i have now---

i sleep well at night, regardless.

we have numerous discussions on here about everything from burning wood to running equipment.

if i suggest to a newcomer to run out and buy a 24" chainsaw and he cuts his leg off because it's too heavy for him, are you saying i'd should feel responsible?

heh...better guess again.

everything here is a discussion. period. it is in no way intended to circumvent any local building codes or fire codes, and i believe most people understand that. that being the case, if everyone thought like you, then every forum owner and/or members could be sued for giving bad advice.

when you join a discussion forum, you understand this, or, at least should understand that. i've read everything from chain sharpening to boilers to electrical wiring to hydraulics to heavy equipment here from people asking questions.

as for the OP, the question was: Can I put two stoves on the same chimney? hell, he can put 20 stoves on one chimney, but the follow up would it be legal or not or would it physically work.

now lets get to the real point
i say less filling

The main danger of two wood stoves on same flue is, in-case of flue fire you would have-to choke down boath stoves to put it out. verry dangerous if you are by yourself.......

know how to cure that problem???--i have a hot and cold faucet by the chimney--with a short hose on the cold bibb--if something starts--theres a small space just above the wood pipe--enough to flood water in--to kill a fire---as fires draft like mad, itll pull the water in, and kill the fire---

life safety issues are a big thing, after the first two answers said no, the third said yes, and then he jumped on the yes answer, and forgot about the no answers. when a house burns down because of some answer on the Internet...will the Internet pay for what his insurance company denies him. i am not putting my family life on the line with an answer on the Internet...yes i did ask a question, and guess what found my answer for what i needed...will my family be harmed if did something wrong with my question, no...my furnace mignt not work...but hey then it will be my fault...if this guys house burns down, because he followed a answer from here...could you live with it.....guess we will agree to disagree

hey there pal, somebody said no, somebody said yes. How do I know which is the YAHOO!?

I am interested in hearing other peoples opinions. Ive learned a lot on this board. I have a family, and that is #1, Im not going to try something without researching. This board is a GREAT first step in doing that. It can keep me fromm going into the whole situation blindly. If I was gonna go into this deal blindly I would have hooked the damn thing up already and not even asked.

Maybe Im the Yahoo, but this is a good discussion, for more reasons than one. This is why this forum is here, IMO.

By the way, the internal dimensions of my chimney are 12x12, and I am currently running 8" stove pipe on my existing stove.

hey there pal, somebody said no, somebody said yes. How do I know which is the YAHOO!?

I am interested in hearing other peoples opinions. Ive learned a lot on this board. I have a family, and that is #1, Im not going to try something without researching. This board is a GREAT first step in doing that. It can keep me fromm going into the whole situation blindly. If I was gonna go into this deal blindly I would have hooked the damn thing up already and not even asked.

Maybe Im the Yahoo, but this is a good discussion, for more reasons than one. This is why this forum is here, IMO.

By the way, the internal dimensions of my chimney are 12x12, and I am currently running 8" stove pipe on my existing stove.

certified one and two family building inspector....OH and a yahoo

plud i stayed at a holiday inn last night

Last edited:
Will it work? possibly But the first thing I would do is contact my insurance agent If something were to happen and they did not approve this say bye bye to your ins check.

As mentioned earlier, don't take anybody's word for it. Check with your local building codes/inpsector. I bet the answer will be "no". Then check with your insurance company. Still will be "no".

Another option would be to run a liner for the two separate appliances (one for each appliance) in that chimney run (if they both will fit).

Do it by the book and sleep well at night for you and your family. KD

Years ago it was a fairly common practice to share a chimney. These days building codes and insurance companies have other thoughts. Remember, in the past houses were far less tightly constructed, ventilated better due to drafty windows, doors, and lack of insulation. Of course there were either lax building codes or none at all besides.

One reason to NOT share a common flue is the possibility of of carbon monoxide seeping back into the house, and it can put you and your family to sleep permanently.

I'm having a house built as we speak, and it has a 2 flue chimney centrally located. One thimble is in the basement, and the other on the 1st floor.

A less expensive alternative to installing a new masonary chimney is triple wall flue pipe that needs very little clearance to combustibles.

I'm not going to quote building codes as they vary, but you might want to inquire locally, and with your insurance company. Yeah, it might be a hassle, but better safe and legal.

One reason to NOT share a common flue is the possibility of of carbon monoxide seeping back into the house, and it can put you and your family to sleep permanently.

That is my main concern.

Our house was built in 1920, and I actually have two brick chimneys. One was for the kitchen stove and the other is/was for the main heat, Im using the main one and its location is a lot more conducive for an upstairs stove. I can make the other one work, it just wont be as easy.

As pointed out earlier corbonmonoxide poisoning is real.
That's enough reason for me.

My folks's chimney has 2 seperate flues. One to the fireplace downstairs and a second one that opens to the second story for a gas/wood heater up there.

No blindfold for me. I want to see Death coming and look it in the eye. Of all the things I fear, dying in my sleep rates highest. Well, it was while still married.

Last edited:
All codes and installation instructions I've seen say no.

If you have an insurable incident and your insurance company finds multiple connections to a chimney, how do you think your claim will be handled?

I seriously doubt you will get any professional to tell you its okay to do this. If the manufacturers say no, and he says yes and you follow his advice, where do you think liability will be assigned if you have an incident?

My $0.02, worth every penny.

That is my main concern.

Our house was built in 1920, and I actually have two brick chimneys. One was for the kitchen stove and the other is/was for the main heat, Im using the main one and its location is a lot more conducive for an upstairs stove. I can make the other one work, it just wont be as easy.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/seattle/seattle_residential/PDFs_residential/Chapter 10.pdf

if there are two flues, in a common chimney, then yes. the code allows that
but the two flues need to separated. also you have to make sure the flue size is correct. take a look at the attached code. it is not too simple to figure out the the size of the required flue.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/seattle/seattle_residential/PDFs_residential/Chapter 10.pdf

if there are two flues, in a common chimney, then yes. the code allows that
but the two flues need to separated. also you have to make sure the flue size is correct. take a look at the attached code. it is not too simple to figure out the the size of the required flue.

Thanks.(for the code, and the assumption that im an idiot:cheers: ) I understand where you're coming from.

No! No! No!

Why?...I'm a licensed contractor internet yahoo, that's why...35 yrs. in the trades yahoo.....fairly knowledgeable about BOCA, IBC, NFPA codes yahoo!

Here I go, throwing more fuel on the fire.:chainsaw:

internal area of my brick chimney is 9"x9"

There are three existing flues from the 1920s the main level of the house has two holes at the same level(for stovepipe). I am only utilizing one now.

cross sectional area of 8" stove pipe is 50.24"
cross sectional area of 6" stove pipe is 28.26"
combined cross sectional area would be 78.5"
chimney cross sectional area would be 81" wouldnt that be sufficient? Especially if they were at the same level on opposite sides of the chimney?

I hope Im keeping everyone entertained.:greenchainsaw:

Here I go, throwing more fuel on the fire.:chainsaw:

internal area of my brick chimney is 9"x9"

There are three existing flues from the 1920s the main level of the house has two holes at the same level(for stovepipe). I am only utilizing one now.

cross sectional area of 8" stove pipe is 50.24"
cross sectional area of 6" stove pipe is 28.26"
combined cross sectional area would be 78.5"
chimney cross sectional area would be 81" wouldnt that be sufficient? Especially if they were at the same level on opposite sides of the chimney?

I hope Im keeping everyone entertained.:greenchainsaw:

We had 2 wood burners into a chimney when I was growing up with no problems, houses like yours obviously did it, BUT what we have learned over the years tends to make us aware of what is possible to go wrong. The codes are there for a reason, for your protection. For your familys sake alone I would only let one exhaust per chimney occur. I look at it this way: I don't want the responsibility of being worried that my family might be at risk, I have enough to worry about day to day. I still would bring in a professional to check it out if you think it would be a go. Just my thoughts.

We had 2 wood burners into a chimney when I was growing up with no problems, houses like yours obviously did it, BUT what we have learned over the years tends to make us aware of what is possible to go wrong. The codes are there for a reason, for your protection. For your familys sake alone I would only let one exhaust per chimney occur. I look at it this way: I don't want the responsibility of being worried that my family might be at risk, I have enough to worry about day to day. I still would bring in a professional to check it out if you think it would be a go. Just my thoughts.

He's coming on tuesday.:greenchainsaw:

I should thank everyone, ive had a couple different threads going about getting two stoves in the house. It has been a complicated week of brainstorming to find the best possible scenario.

Thanks Arboristsite members.:greenchainsaw:

He's coming on tuesday.:greenchainsaw:

I should thank everyone, ive had a couple different threads going about getting two stoves in the house. It has been a complicated week of brainstorming to find the best possible scenario.

Thanks Arboristsite members.:greenchainsaw:

Look at it this way: I think it would look totally cool to have dual exhaust on the house rather than a wimpy single!!!!:blob2: Of course that is the mechanic in me talking......

Latest posts

Back