chinese chestnut tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what is the best approach to maintaining a couple of nice chinese chestnut trees. I am speaking of when to prune back and what to feed them to make them bare real well. Thanks Wade

There is about 2 year's worth of good advice on general pruning and fertilization here. Do you have a specific question? Any details or descriptions at all? You aren't giving us much to work with here.

Well, its funny treeclimber after getting no response here I stumbled on to site that dealt specifically with chestnut trees. I posted the same question and if you could imagine... just try I got a response and it was a positive one with all the information I needed. I guess some people are more willing to help than others, they spend more time answering your question than being a smarta$$. I pride myself in being easy going and as helpfull as I can be and you are the first person on this site that I have had ill feelings about. The bottom line is that if my post gets pulled for being off topic then snow,snow,snow should get yanked to. But I guess its okay for some to post as they please.....Later Wade

Crowe....

Prune dormant in small steps each season.
Hydrolized fish protein works wonders.
Stagger your medication.

Thank you

Thanks for your help that follows the steps that I discovered last week. The fellow I talked to didn't mention hydroloized fish protien he mentioned 20-10-10 fertilizer at about 6 to 10 pds per tree. What's the difference between fertilizer and fish protein? I would really like to see these trees take off this year. He mentioned putiing the fertilizer on in late may does that sound rigt as well? later Wade

Crowe,

I prefer to use organic and natural solutions to problems rather than unnatural chemicals that further pollute our water tables. Nothing pi$$es me off more than seeing people with all those little yellow flags on their lawns.

Hyrolized fish is basically an emultion made from ground up fish scraps that would otherwise be landfilled. It is injected with a deep root needle 6" to 8" beneath the soil in the trees' drip line. You'll probably have to have to have that done by someone with the equipment to handle it, unless you happen to own a large expensive spray rig. When done properly, you neither see nor smell anything "fishy", and the environment has to tolerate a few less chemicals. It is absolutely environmentally friendly. And does it work? Like you wouldn't believe!!

Late May to late June is about right.

Now, I think you owe treeclimber an apology. He wasn't trying to be a wisea$$, he likely didn't quite understand specifically what you were asking. Remember, he's from Florida. :D

Thanks again

Netree,
Thanks for your help and explaining the difference between the two fertilizer's. I am not sure I am ready to call a truth's with treeclimber yet. My ill feelings go back further than my last post to him on this thread. I am just going to let it go, but thanks for your advice I will make note of what you told me and go from their. Later Wade

Back