Chinese ms660 complete kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I see on eBay you can buy a complete "stihl" ms660 parts kit for $299. That's the whole power head that needs assembled. Not that I plan on buying one but has anyone bought one? I'm sure it's crap but tempting.

For those of you who have built these saws, about how long would you say it takes to assemble one properly?

Assuming you have all the parts, and the proper tools, it can take a few hours. But, because these kits are often missing parts, you have multiple trips to the dealer, or waiting for new parts to arrive, which usually takes weeks. Then ontop of that if you want to do some port work... assuming you have the tools that can add some hours as well. Then when you undo something because you did it in the wrong order / forgot a fastener .... etc. You get the idea. I'll bet if I had all the pieces, knew the pieces would fit properly and perfectly, and knew what I was doing, I could just slap it together it'd be closer to an hour and a half. But thats just a guess :)

Thanks. I've watched a lot of these videos and keep wondering just how big a project I'd be getting into.

These kits have immense value as a learning tool. Cheap to start and if you watch the videos, you will be less likely to screw it up. After you are done you will have come a long way to being able to work on nearly anything. This way you can learn on something cheap not the higher dollar genuine Stihls. Then you can get a Husky 372 kit to learn about those.

This is the greatest advantage of all to these kits that I see.

I've worked on all the saws I have and rebuilt some of them. It seems like a fun project. I'd never buy a 660 I really have no need for one. I have enough saws for my fire wood... but it would be real fun to use lol. I know Chinese quality control is not very good. Are these like a good for 20 year saw or 10 hour saw. I'm positive I could put it together I've rebuilt some interesting stuff in the past.

Just wondering if the 400 or so into it by the time it's done is worth it.

I think it's worth it....but the value is more in the knowledge than in the tool I think.

Once you work the bugs out they run pretty well. I just do the bolt for bolt vids. AFLEETCOMMAND on youtube has longer term stuff going on. Check out his channel

I see they are 186$ on the farmtec sight that's a better price to me. They seem to have a lot of good reviews. I'll have to consider one for the next saw.
The shipping on a farmertec 660 brings you to close to 300. EBay kit is free shipping. I've heard lots about the farmertec kit though and nothing of the guley kit on eBay.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Damn that's a lot of shipping. It looks like the same kit but it looked like the engine was assembled but who knows.
I contacted the eBay seller the engine comes assembled but this is not a farmertec kit. The brand of the parts is guley

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Idk if it's good that it comes assembled. Who assembled it a Chinese factory or a person in the US who knows what they are doing? I read a lot of good stuff about the farmertec one. I don't know much about guley.

So I see on eBay you can buy a complete "stihl" ms660 parts kit for $299. That's the whole power head that needs assembled. Not that I plan on buying one but has anyone bought one? I'm sure it's crap but tempting.
think u can buy one on............ h@l supply right here.......... for less than that.. and afleetcommand on u-tube has been doing them for a time now ......they are actually very good... ( not crap) well (very few parts are just ) ae: chain adjusters few other parts but most are solid ................
upload_2017-9-9_4-49-20.png

my two cents would be you say buy the kit and build it. I got the first kit and have not quit. I just got a 660 and oh my have they improved them since last sept. when i did my 660 video what comes in the kit box.

today the cylinder was perfect, they even are including the summer winter shutter and the bushing for the cowl. man we fussed about them being missing in the old kits. they have done a wonderful job. if you take it seriously and take some notes and watch some videos. you will have an awesome saw. they are rugged

I put up my step one video tonight and by tuesday I will start cranking them out. I figured out how to shoot them and make them easy to wade through. and you can see the new changes they made to the kits and the parts in it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...n-and-update-the-content.313223/#post-6347415

DHgate.com some one on their is selling ms660 chain saws with free shiping for a bought 54.oo

I built a number of the Farmertech saws, MS361, 660, 250. Only one I have left is a 361 I spent a ton of time porting and getting a 440 carb to fit. It does well - uses as much fuel as a 440 while doing less work, is its big weakness. Seems like all the chinese carburetors, on all of the saws, need tuning on a more often and senselessly random time frame. Contantly fussing with the ones I sold for the new owners. The rubber parts are really sucky. I replaced all MS361 kit pulse lines and manifolds with OEM. The MS250 leaks bar oil all over the clutch, much to my disgust since I never could figure out how come. Recoil starters are worth every penny you pay for them.... not much.

I will say I learned a ton porting on a $10 P&C kit :D

Back