Chinese Pistacchio trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gullie

Reaction score
Help!

I planted 3 Chinese Pistacchio trees about 2 months ago.

At first they appeared to have some sort of "rust" on scattered leaves. I removed the affected leaves and treated the trees with Daconil anti fungal treatment for 3 weeks (3 treatments, seven days apart).

I waited two weeks to give this a chance to work but they are really suffering.

I took a sample of the diseased leaves into the garden center where I purchased the trees. The lady I spoke to explained that if I treated them with the Daconil and there is still a problem, that means that it may be a "bug" instead of a "disease".

She recommended I use Isotox. She also noted that the leaves are too yellow and that I needed Ironite.

It has been almost 2 weeks now. The leaves (after treatment with Isotox) have turned crispy brown just on the affected edges. One of the trees has lost 50% of its leaves (turning yellow and then falling off with the empty branches thin and bald).

The temperatures have been in the upper 90's to 100's. Very little rain (although I water then daily and mist in the evenings).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Chris,
I've heard reports of wilt affecting pistache. It sounds like it's time to call in some one to test the soil for nutrient deficiencies and look the foliage over.

Sounds like you're overwatering, misting them is proabaly not helping either.

you need to possitively identify the problem before you can treat effectively. send a sample to your local extention agency or university. Local garden centers dont always have knowledgable people. have an expert look at it and then treat accordingly. What exactly did the spots look like and did you look at them under a hand lens?

Latest posts

Back