Underwatered Ash Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewww

Reaction score
We planted a Berrinda Ash Tree 3 months ago and it's been thriving until the summer heat of Arizona hit 3-4 weeks ago. Now the leaves are turning goldish yellow, curling and falling off.

The tree has been receiving water approximately 3-4 times per week via 4 drip emitters (about 30-40 gallons each time). I suspected it wasn't getting water deep enough, so I just put four 24" deep watering stakes a few days ago.

I had also added fertilizer a month ago, so maybe that also added additional stress to the tree? I heard high nitrogen is bad during summer heat in Arizona.

What can I do to save this Ash Tree?

IMG_6662 (1).png

IMG_6663 (1).png

A number of things can cause a tree to scorch out like this.
Over watering or under watering.
Fumes from chemicals or exhaust.
Nefarious act.
Inappropriate spray application.
Toxic soil environment.
Hotspot from sun reflection.
Damaged from transplanting.
Inappropriate handling/neglect before installing.
That's just what I can think of right now.

What kind of soil is there? (under the fake grass)

How is the drainage? Sounds like plenty of water. I'm wondering if it is isn't draining, there might be too much water.

Take the wrap off of the trunk. That isn't causing this, but it isn't helpful.

What kind of soil is there? (under the fake grass)

How is the drainage? Sounds like plenty of water. I'm wondering if it is isn't draining, there might be too much water.

Take the wrap off of the trunk. That isn't causing this, but it isn't helpful.
Thanks! The nursery said to leave the wrap on for the first summer, but I’ll take it off. It’s primarily clay soil here and I think it is poor draining. Maybe I should back the watering down to only 2-3 days per week?

I’ve also just added a little Fertilome soil acidifier because the pH was really alkaline, as well as a little chelated liquid iron.

I have seen more transplanted trees die from overwatering than under, especially in heavy clay soil. Don't be afraid to dig down next to the rootball and check. Could be drowning in a big clay pot.
Thanks I had prodded about 3 feet from the trunk with 24” stakes and it’s definitely muddy. Would staking holes around the tree and filling with gypsum potentially help the drainage?

Thanks I had prodded about 3 feet from the trunk with 24” stakes and it’s definitely muddy. Would staking holes around the tree and filling with gypsum potentially help the drainage?
No, not really. Best thing is just to cut back on the water and monitor it. Root wrap or girdling is also a concern in that heavy clay, but that is an issue for next year, let's get through this one first.

Latest posts

Back