Chip Dump full of FROZEN chips, how to get out???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bags of play sand sold at wally world, lowes home depot etc. It,s dry and fine, scatter a couple bags across the floor of truck or trailer.We used to do this to be able to dump wet dirt, peat moss and frozen stone. this time of year,you can probably pick up cheap

Many good ideas, thank you. Yes I'm using a BC 1000 and the exhaust heating the chips I think is huge part of the problem. Today only got up to 6 F so never chipped. Tomorrow should get up to 15 so was thinking if I chipped enough to make 4 or 5 inches deep in box, then took a short break and jumped in and mixed all around and covered the bottom even with cooled down and now "un-stuck" chips, I might be able to then fill box rest of the way and it will dump? Any other ideas certainly welcome.

randy

Me thinks rust may be a problem wax is better in that aspect!

you dont work in the northeast rope. a little bit of road salt and i mean not too much on the bed isnt going to make a bit of difference.

winter's are rough on the whole vehicle around here with the amount of a salt and chemical they put on the roads around here.

cars rot out right out from underneath ya. lol

Last edited:
you dont work in the northeast rope. a little bit of road salt and i mean not too much on the bed isnt going to make a bit of difference.

winter's are rough on the whole vehicle around here with the amount of a salt and chemical they put on the roads around here.

cars rot out right out from underneath ya. lol

Well no I have never even been in the north east and prolly never will.
I have however lived and worked in Grand Rapids Mi. I would find it hard to believe much difference in temp and snow fall would exist in these two?
I have also lived and worked in Neb and experienced the worst blizzard
in the U.S. while there in 77 I believe it was maybe 76! Here Ice is our
biggest concern and I would rather drive snow anyday. Maybe if you
painted it each spring salt would be less detrimental but as soon as
rust in the bed starts chips will stick even on 70degree days.

Up here in the NE we get alot of thaw refreeze cycles, alot of sleet, and general messy weather. Id imagine MI gets more snow as compared to us getting alot of mixed stuff.

They use ALOT of salt on the roads up here. Ive seen some of the mag chloride around this year too. But yeah, they dont need precipitation here to need road treatment. Just a 35 degree sunny day and a 20 degree night.

Up here in the NE we get alot of thaw refreeze cycles, alot of sleet, and general messy weather. Id imagine MI gets more snow as compared to us getting alot of mixed stuff.

They use ALOT of salt on the roads up here. Ive seen some of the mag chloride around this year too. But yeah, they dont need precipitation here to need road treatment. Just a 35 degree sunny day and a 20 degree night.

I am so glad youz guys like the city of the NE I have no interest
in it what so ever. I have some in the Rockies and Montana I don't
care for crowds.

Last edited:
Many good ideas, thank you. Yes I'm using a BC 1000 and the exhaust heating the chips I think is huge part of the problem. Today only got up to 6 F so never chipped. Tomorrow should get up to 15 so was thinking if I chipped enough to make 4 or 5 inches deep in box, then took a short break and jumped in and mixed all around and covered the bottom even with cooled down and now "un-stuck" chips, I might be able to then fill box rest of the way and it will dump? Any other ideas certainly welcome.

randy

I think you are on to something there, break them up before they freeze hard.

i just take a shale bar and poke at the floor or the bed,, with the box up...takes less than 5 minutes....it's the stuff in contact with the bed and front wall that freeze up the most....

has anyone tried painting the top of the clip box black ??? don't know if it would help,, couldn't hurt....

Stumps,

my whole box is black and Ive had some freeze problems b4. Not near as bad as those described above though. Mainly the overnite freeze.

Sh*t, if its 5* outside, this boy is takin the day off!

Careful backing up and slamming on the brakes too hard . . . I had a ram rip off the frame once while doing that with 6 tons of grass stuck in the bed. Not too fun when the fully loaded bed came slamming back down.

Maybe try "fluid film" http://www.kellsportproducts.com/home.html
(one of our sponsors)
I use this to keep snow from sticking to my snow plows and snow blowers.

I don't have too much trouble with chips. I have more problems with the moisture from the dirt in stump grindings freezing.

She Dumped!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!!!!!! Chipped about 1 cu. yd. and then took a break from chipping. Half hour later jumped in box with 10 tine (broke one so now 9 tine) fork and busted up what was in the nose of the box and spread it out, made a layer about 3 or four inches deep over the entire bottom. Then filled er up. High was 8 degrees F, and she dumped. "Xtra" thanks for the link to "fluid film" which looks like it has a million uses, I may try some in the box, snow blowers etc. Seems similar to silicone in a spray can that I use now.

randy

Back