chipper blades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Where do you get yours sharpened? I have tried 3 different co's now and they have all screwed my blades up repeatedly. Nothing worse than getting the blades back and they are uneven or the wrong angle, etc, etc.... I keep an extra set and they used to be the same size so I could just drop them in and adjust the anvil, after getting one set or another screwed up , I have to adjust the height of the blades everytime and the anvil, very frustrating and time consuming!:angry:

Tool Grinding Service
649 Woodcrest Road
Sylvester, GA 31791
1-800-777-0557

This guy does excellent work at reasonable prices with a quick turnaround time.

Toddppm, Where do you live? Shipping might kill you because of weight depending where you are. Since Treeman is in Florida, Georgia isn't all that bad. We might be able to refer somone near you.
:blob2:

Just check a tool grinding service in your area. Thats who we used.They did a much better job than the local shop that did them for a living.

Believe it or not, a lot of the local companies here in Orlando use a PAPER company to sharpen our blades! It seems that the machines that they use to cut paper have similar knives and they seem to do a good job. The last 2 companies I worked for both used the same place although I can't recall the name.

Ask the grinder shop some questions before you decide to use them. First, chipper blades MUST be sharpened on a wet-grinder to prevent heat damage. Next, they must be sharpened as a set, NOT individually. If their machine can't sharpen all 4 blades together, go somewhwere else. Finally, be sure to provide them with original factory specs for the cutting edge angle and the minimum blade width.

I'm in Va. , I've been mailing them to different co's , shipping isn't too bad. I haven't checked machine shops around here because the ones I do know of I wouldn't want touching them. I'm not sure what the specs are for them , it's an old Asplundh, hopefully they can just match the angle:confused: I'll call the place in GA and see what they think. Thanks

Many years ago I was pruning some trees and a neighbor walked up who needed a little work. We did a little pruning for him. When I walked out his driveway I noticed that he had a shingle on his garage that said "Harmon Sharpening". Since then, he has done all of my sharpening. You might be able to find someone who sharpens sawsblades, etc. to do the work. Since I use the Pferd filing system for my chains, I sold him my Foley bench grinder. The only chain that I have had him sharpen is one that hit a huge rock and took off about half of the tooth.

On Wed. afternoon I dropped off eight knives for my chipper and he had them done by Friday AM. I think he charges me $3 per knife.

Before I connected with Tony I took the knives to a shop that sharpened cutters for printers and other paper cutters. This shop was on the edge of downtown Mpls, Tony lives about ten blocks from my house!

Tom

as a machinist i have had to sharpen a good number of planer knives and from working with them all you really need to sharpen them is a jig that holds them at the right angle, a surface grinder, and indicators to make sure that you have them all at the same height. cause even if the shops machine can sharpen them all at the same time there could be dirt and debrie in the jig and that could make for unequal knives. a surface grinder and a skilled operator can do each blade seperatly and get the same resluts if not closer tolerances if that is what you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back