Chipper Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborterra

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am building/rebuilding this chipper. I picked up the drum cheap and it had brand new bearings and knives in it. Had to make a new shear bar. I don't know for sure what make it is. It is small, 9". I think it may be a Woodchuck or Chipmonk. I was hoping someone could help with identification. Any thoughts ? I am using a John Deere engine from an old combine and many custom fabricated parts. It will have hydralics, I don't know why. I just wanted a hydralic jack instead of a hand crank.

More pics. I thought about using a beer keg but I decided to use a gas tank for a gas tank. Why did everyone leave the shop when I sat the cutting torch next to the propane tank ? I had to shorten it 10".

Nice project, keep us updated on your progress. Those old chuck & duck chippers were great for small brush. Be sure to put some rubber mats on the infeed shoot, to slow down any wooden missles that come flying back to the operator on those type chippers.

It does have the drum bearings like a whisper chipper. I didn't know chipmunk was the same. It should work for what I want it for. Economical and dependable I hope. The John Deere engine should be pretty good and the rest is simple and basic.

asplundh made the whisper ,chipmunk and a self feeder called the timberwolf. the whisper parts should be the same as they were 9, 12 and 16 inch cutters

Thanks Lawson, If it is Asplundh it should be easy enough to get knives for it. Easy to buy them instead of make them.

Work on the chipper has been steady. a lot of small things to tinker with. I should have it done soon and post pics.

Chipper Pics 10-25-07

The chipper is mostly completed. Tested it out today and everything is working well, just a couple of minor bugs and some finishing touches and on to another project.

nice looking chipper . glad to see you got it running right good luck with it it should last you a long time.

Nice job.
How are you venting the gas tank?

I ran into a problem with an aux. fuel tank a while back with a cap like yours. The mechanic never made a vent. He "fixed" it by cutting a small slot on the inside threads of the cap . . . just wondering if there's a better way.

Niiice work! It almost look like a storebought machine:jawdrop::clap:

Now show us a video!:popcorn:

Bob, The tank is vented the same way. Cut in the threads on the top side of the fill tube. I bought the drum unit for scrap and the motor came out of a scrap John Deere combine, 217 ci gas. The rest was a pile of junk parts or home made.

Ok, thanks . . . I guess that's standard operating proceedure.

My tank never leaked from splashing, but I thought maybe there was another type of cap or something.

Latest posts

Back