Chipper Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABOVE & BEYOND

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Day all. This is my first posting on this website. So hopefully I am posting in the right location.

I am in the market for a new/used chipper. I am looking for something with a 12 to 15 inche capacity. Any suggestions recommendations on which to buy or stay away from? If you have anything negative to say about a particular brand or mfg of a chipper and do not feel it is appropriate to broadcast over the internet, please feel free to E-mail me at [email protected]. I am looking for honest and upfront info. from everyday users before spending a huge chunk of change.

Thank you in advance.

Geoff

Geoff, welcome to the site. We trust the Bandit brand everyday. Having a dealer that can service the machine might be something you will want to think about.

I would stay away from some of the established manufacturers of other products who just started making chippers less than 2 years ago. They may be good machines, but let someone else field test them for a couple more years first. I made the mistake of buying a Morbark drum chipper when they first came out and it was the worst chipper I ever had. One of the happiest days of my life was the day someone bought it. I demo'd the machine for them and also told them it will clog very easily on palm fronds (a big part of our work here). The company I sold it too was a big company and had about 12 other chippers they said they could use on palms. They were buying it mostly to chip up big branches and logs. Now days, I hear the Morbark drums are good machines, but I don't ever see myself buying another Morbark because of my one bad experience. I do know that the Woodsman 18X and 15X and the Dynamic DC series of chippers are excellent machines. Bandits are popular, but not a brand I like. A couple of good friends of my mine have Bandit 250s, and my Woodsman 18X and Dynamic DC50 will out chip them easily, but the 18X is not a fair comparison, since it is an 18" machine, but the DC50 is a 12 inch machine like the 250. Best thing to do is try and see them actually operate and make your own choice. Having a good dealer nearby should also be a major consideration.

Disclaimer: I am the Dynamic dealer for the state of Hawaii.

Yes, I signed a formal dealership agreement with them which was effective Nov. 10, 2005. I have one DC50 in stock and just ordered a DC55 last week, but I think I may have that one sold before it gets here in late January.

Latest posts

Back