chipper selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantclimb

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting to the point where it isn't feasible to keep renting a chipper, so which one do I get?

I have my eye on three:

a Vermeer 1230 with a perkins 85 hp, 1100 hours

a morbark 12" with an 80 hp diesel, 800 hours

a brush bandit 12" drum style with a 66 hp deutz, 500 hrs

brush bandit is a little cheaper, but has a smaller engine,

I do quite a bit of limb & trim, but I am quoting more removals these days.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

preference

I guess it'd all depend on your preference. An easy way to eliminate one would be to answer the question... Do you like the chuck and duck chippers? The next thing to look at would be the service availability in your area on the different brands. That's just my two cents worth.

My experience has been with the power feed chippers, but I do understand that the duck n chucks tend to chip quicker, and are simpler to maintain.

What do you think about hp ratings, say chipping up to 10-11" would the 65 hp deutz have the stuff??

Thanks,

Do not get the 1230 Vermeer, heavy, unreliable, junk compared to the bc1000.

Now that I think about it, I'm not really interested in the chuck and duck. the 6" limitaion on the size just won't get it for me. I don't want to cut firewood.

Thanks,

I like Morbark and Bandit chippers. Disc chippers usually make a better chip and are easier to maintain. With a better chip you won't have any problems getting dump spots.

At the last tree firm I worked for, they had a Timberwolf TW/190, which is an awesome machine. Will chip upto 7.5" diameter, has hydraulic roller feed, can be towed on the back of your truck. Only has a 35hp engine, not quite the same power as what you were looking at, but still did the job with very few problems.

Go with the morbark or bandit forget the vermeer it gets out performed by both

Latest posts

Back