Chipper truck prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those man cabs are just waisted space. is it a gas moter? i don't know what kind of volume you do. but i'd look for a international diesel (its the only way to go). with a 14-16 foot bed. for me my dumps were far and i chipped all my wood with a 20 inch chipper. to me big trucks are the only way to go. if you shop right you could get a nice truck for around 15,000. the box's on those standard tree trucks are not big enough. i won't even tell you about my mack 10 wheeler.

just bought a chip truck

My boss just bought a chip truck last month. It's a 1996 GMC Topkick gas engine, with a mancab and 11' chip box. 26K miles and he got it for $13K. It's a former 'Farrens' truck (another utility contractor).

He wanted it for all the storage space to keep all our equipment on one truck. It is working out well, and the mancab is very convienent for stuff that won't go in the toolboxes as well as carrying extra guys. We only have an old Asplundh Whisper chipper so the chip box seems to be big enough for now.

Dunno if it's too much without knowing the condition of the truck or what other comparable trucks are going for. Check out truck trader dot com or similar sites and look for similar trucks.

Hope you get a good deal on it, but sometimes auctions bring out the 'stupid' in people. Once I tried to buy a 10 yr old stump grinder at a city auction and it went for about 70% of the cost of a new one!

if its a diesel moter 7k is ok for a 10 year old low milage truck. but i say 7k is a little high for a gas moter. what does it need? how are the tires? does it need to be repainted? how much work does it need after the purchase price? look it over and set your highest bid. don't get caught up in the auction fever.

no i did not specialize in large removals. i just took the jobs that came my way. but i felt a big truck and chipper got me in and out of the job quicker. there's no money in fire wood. i used to be able to dump chips for free. but that well dried up. wood cost too much to dump so i chipped every thing. if i send a truck to the dump it an hour and a half to 2 hours before he's back. for me it was the way to go. if the wood and brush was all piled up i could fill my 25 yard truck in 20-30 min. i was cleaning up my yard one day and had a close free dump i filled the truck 6 x before 1:00.
the company i work for has a chuck and duck and 3 small mason dumps. they chip into 1 and fill the other 2 with wood. with one big truck plus a big chipper you only need to pay insurance on 1 truck not 3 and only have the repair cost of one not 2. do you understand my rational. you do not have to agree with me. every one prefers their own method, good luck at the auction.

I'm with you on the size thing. I think any chipper under 12 in and 85 hp is too small for nnormal tree work.

One of the guys I work with is like your people, but hea has a landscaper who sells fire wood pick everything up. if it is stove length 3 in or larger :rolleyes: False economy.

Here in MKE there still a few garden centers that will take chip at no charge. Chip it all and get rid of it.

yo well you know, ya gotta grease the right guy and chips just disapear if ya kow what i mean.
i was paying 8 dollars a yard. my international held about 25 yards. wood was 12 bucks a yard. thats why i chipped every thing. i also had an old beast mack 10 wheeler. with a 17 foot bed and 3 foot sides. i only took it when we did crane work or a large removal where i could back the truck up to the tree. i would pound wood into it right from the tree or dump sticks right into it. the truck was a 1969 dm400 with the old military rears and dog bone suspenion. there was no hurting this truck. the only draw back was the truck ony did 45 mph full or empty 45 was it. but it would pull a house down.

Congrats on your new toys! Hopefully, you can make them dependable and reliable enough for daily work without too much expense. After insurance, registration, etc.

The 935 isn't a bad chipper, sure beats the Chuck-n-Duck!

Latest posts

Back