chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
after reading previous chipper threads i started to get a bit confused.when you guys talk about chuck and duck chippers do you mean that they are gravity fed?you also seem to like 12" chippers in the states,what sort of money do they cost?last year we got a new 6" Forrester (you have probally never heard of them)it will really take upto 9" as the only differance between the 2 is the HP rating of the engine.it has hydraulic feed rollers operated by electronic buttons,stress control(does anyone know if this is available for humans) and cutting discs instead of blades.these are a sort of delta shape and can be turned 3 times before they need sarpening.the crushing power of the rollers on brush is on a par with other 10" chippers i have used in the past.this machine cost £12500 what sort of machine would this buy over there.bearing in mind the 9" version is around £17500 and the premier 10" i used at my last job cost around £23000,also saw at a show a vermeer 12" that was nearly £30000 or more i get the impression that they may be a little cheaper in the states.also used a brush bandit at one job i had for a year and can honestly say it was the biggest pile of crap i ever had the misfortune to use IMO.

chippas

one of our unimogs has a kacked gearbox at the moment so we are using a Mercedes MB trac 800 with the small chipper (10" i think) the big farmi we have rocks it'll take anything 13" oak it starts to struggle but it rocks...massive

all our chippers are PTO, been told that the self powered ones aint as good

jamie

JAMIE,
pto driven chippers a good cause they are powered by high HP engines instead of 40-60HP engines in trailor chippers.if we were to chip 13" wood our boss would cry because we sell a lot of logs for fire wood.

firewood

we sell a lot of fire wood as well, our yard has more timber stacks than you can shake a tree at.

the oak was on a job it was one section about 10ft long and was going to be a lot of effort to get out for nowt, and and it was fun to watch the boss chuck it through, had we have tried we would have got a roasting.... it went through with only a bit of a groan.

all our firewood is cranes out on our 'big mog' with crane and hauled outa there.

jamie

Blue, To clarify ( or perhaps muddle)JPS's post. A chuck & duck is a drum style chipper without feed wheels. The limbs are sucked into the machine at the velocity the knives on the outer surface of the drum are traveling. The only safe way to feed one is to Chuck(throw) and duck.

I have a friend that works for asplund (him and his brother, the brother is the foreman) that got his hand ran up in the chipper. Not too bad, but it put him outa work for a few months or so.

Eric, Actually.......NO. I think that the natur eof the beast makes people keep there own limbs out.-Tree limbs aren't all that get fed though-Chuck & Ducks have eaten a lot of gloves , wristwatches and spectacles!:)

Originally posted by netree
Anybody ever hear of someone getting sucked thru a chuck 'n' duck?

Not all the way through. And they're supposed to be more dangerous:rolleyes:.

But I thought that the reason they were more dangerous was there tendancy to throw stuff back out of the chipper, at the loader. That and the fact that they suck up the material as fast as they can.

I'd rather see a groundie get smacked with a limb than eaten.

If the rubber mat is in place to slow stuff being kicked back, then kickback isn't much of a problem. You're supposed to stand off to the side when feeding anyway. If you grab the branch so it isn't bent around you, it shouldn't hit you on the way by.

Originally posted by ORclimber
I'd rather see a groundie get smacked with a limb than eaten.

If the rubber mat is in place to slow stuff being kicked back, then kickback isn't much of a problem. You're supposed to stand off to the side when feeding anyway. If you grab the branch so it isn't bent around you, it shouldn't hit you on the way by.

Yep... I wish that I had me a C&D.

The proper way to feed a C&D is to walk up, feed limb, keep walking by. That's why the Altec's have a pointed feed tray.

They also have the rubber strips that slow down anything getting thrown back.

If the knives and anvil are properly set, C&D's feed and chip pretty good.

I brought up the question because I constantly hear people moaning about how dangerous they are, but it's the feed-wheel machines that are man-eaters. I've yet to hear of anyone getting run thru a C&D.

Gloves should have a tight-fitting wrist, and you shouldn't wear jewelry while working anyways.

So, as far as I'm concerned, they're a safer machine. I agree with OR... I'd rather see my guys get smacked than eaten too.

Re: firewood

Originally posted by jamie
we sell a lot of fire wood as well, our yard has more timber stacks than you can shake a tree at.

the oak was on a job it was one section about 10ft long and was going to be a lot of effort to get out for nowt, and and it was fun to watch the boss chuck it through, had we have tried we would have got a roasting.... it went through with only a bit of a groan.

all our firewood is cranes out on our 'big mog' with crane and hauled outa there.

jamie

i seriously hate firewood its a total waste of time in east
anglia as a transit load can be bought for as little as £60 .not worth the effort of sawing splitting and delivering ..i chip the lot if at all possible ...next chipper i get will be a 15 incher .. too jamie se i have been too vermeer in the last week up in wellingbourgh no way is a 12 inch chipper £30,000...weell i wouldnt be for me anyway ..the thing with b-trac is haggle haggle...and finaly haggle

I will try to post a pic of a whipper chipper for those not familiar. I will do it in the large equipment forums though.

Originally posted by topnotchtree
I will try to post a pic of a whipper chipper for those not familiar. I will do it in the large equipment forums though.

Uh... aint that where this thread is at now?

scratch that last reply. lol here tis.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back