Chips in your pants!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTinaTree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have never seen a post on this subject, so I need some tips/advice.So, its getting warmer out and we are wearing less shirts. That means the chips are ending up in my tshirt and falling down to my wastband and sticking and rubbing me raw... This is compounded by my saddle which puts even more pressure on my waistline and the chips in my tshirt. So I now you can try to keep the chips flying away from you when in the tree. Somtimes the wind will put them right back in your face.. I figured some of you old pros would have some advice to use for us newbies.. Or does this just come with the job?? Would it be better to tuck your shirt in or out? extra long tshirt maybe? I was in a pine for over four hours ther other day, and honestly I did not feel like changing my position on every cut to avoid chips thrown on me.

Thanks for any advice you pros can give me..

Grow your beard long so it hangs over the collar of your shirt.;)
Go shirtless.;)
Wear a scarf.;)
Toughen up-tough men don't even feel the chips.;)

But seriously, it's just one of those things i've learned to live with. Fortunately i have a pretty big neck and the collars of my shirts are pretty tight. Usually end up with the pocket on my shirt full of sawdust before i get much down the shirt. Positioning is key and you learn to move without even thinking about it-but like you said, not always possible to get out of the way.

Always keep my shirt tucked in-imo it doesn't look real professional untucked.

Yeah, neatness is the key in tree work, tuck in and have a belt on your pants...LOL But really with a powerfull saw like the 440mag I was using, the chips blasted right in the sleave to my arm pit,and down to my waist.. I know your going to get some down your shirt. But it sure makes for a uncomfortable day when you are not willing to come down like me..

chips

They get everywhere but don't seem to bother me much. In my eyes is the exception. I just wear safety shades, not goggles or shield, and I'm always picking up my eyelid to clear out something.

My routine is to empty my pockets of chips before entering the home, or else face the broom.

I had to ask for access to the "client's" bathroom last week. Praise God she let me use it. Pretty embarassing though. Had to ask to use the bathroom, and then had to ask for a broom and dust pan to clean up the wood chips around the throne.

Funny when you reach into your pocket to pay for something and a bunch of chips come out with the bills. I try to wear a little bit longer t-shirt when climbing.

Longer shirts, no tucking. This means they will get caught on brush being chipped more, and you'll get holes around waist level, but chips and sawdust will fall through.

greasy pants

simply pump your pants full of grease,keeps the woddchips out and no rusty nuts...or bolts!

i haven't tried this yet so i cannot speak from experience. under armor makes a undershirt of sorts for warmer weather that fits very tight. the under armor gear isn't warm at all so you don't have to worry about it getting hot. if you could find one long enough and tuck it in and have your pants snugged up good over it, with a looser over shirt chips should fall right through. i wear one while skiing and it works very well at keeping snow out of my pants. i hear ya on the chips going everywhere though. they like to get in the outlet on my cell where the phone charger plugs in. I'm always having to dig chips out when i need to charge my phone.

Duck tape!!!!

Before you put your shirt and pants on duck tape around the areas that get chaffed. That way when chips get in there they wont dig in. Of course taking the tape off of bare skin is another thing.

:hmm3grin2orange:

HAHAHAHA...............

ive ate so many in my years im worried there gonna block my heart.......

Deal with it........And wash off alot.........

be safe...........

Wear real tight t-shirts, and let them hang out over your saddle, this way the chips hardly make it to your pants, and you can pull out your shirt and shake it when you get a bunch of sawdust in it. It also makes you look like a big stud when your muscles hold your shirt tight! The chicks dig it.

hahahaha
and get used to it-if your charging 200 bucks an hour, you can stand to have some chips pokin you in the beans.

Shirt in...Shirt out...makes no difference, they still find their way in somewhere, at least you don't get them stuck in a bra!!!!:chainsaw:

Wear tight underwear....on second thoughts that might lead to an occupational injury, how about no underwear...with the kilt.

i was just thinking of this thread while i was taking down a very large pine tree friday

i pull my shirt down through my saddle which covers the top of my jeans, didnt have a single chip fall down in there, but they definantly made it in through the neck of the shirt. its starting to get warm out, so they were stickin

Latest posts

Back