Choosing a tree surgeon to remove hazard tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hackwriter

Reaction score
I have a very large (60-foot) split oak tree in my backyard. The split is only about 7' off the ground, so the tree is essentially a large "V".

The tree has been cabled for at least 10 years. (We have been here for 6.) The property slopes downward away from my house; the tree is near the bottom of the hill. The cable is about 35-40' up.

One trunk of the "V" angles towards my neighbor's house. If something happens to the cable, it's a pretty good bet that this trunk will fall on my neighbor's house.

Every time we have a storm with wind or ice, I am worried sick that this is the time the tree will fall.

I have about 8 large oaks in the yard, and I hate to take down any of them. It breaks my heart to do this, but I've decided that I'm tired of worrying about this tree. The tree leafs out fine, but it has lost a number of large branches in recent years.

I have gotten a number of estimates that are all over the lot. The guy I think I want to use not only came in with the lowest estimate, but gave me a copy of his insurance certificate ($1MM liability, $1MM, property damage, workmen's comp, etc). I had some questions about the insurance, left a message, and he called right away. He explained that the way they will take the tree down (because they can't bet a bucket or crane into the backyard) is send guys up there and cut it down piece by piece. He says that by the time they get to the cable, enough weight will be removed from the tree that there will not be a danger of the split causing the remainder of the trunk to fall.

The neighbor whose house is at risk has told me that he thinks that at one point, the previous owner of my house poured concrete into a rotted area at the bottom of the tree. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but obviously if it is, they won't be able to remove the stump.

Other estimates either came in ridiculously high or with what I regard as questionable tactics such as verbal-only estimates, high-pressure to "decide now", assertions that "you won't get a lower estimate than mine", etc. That's why I'm inclined to go with the guy who lined up his ducks in a row right away (and whose ad said he specializes in "large and dangerous trees).

Can anyone give me any thoughts on this?

Be sure to let the contractor know about the possibility of concrete in the trunk/roots. This would change the job a lot.

One thing that I would add would be that a chain or webbing sling be added below the cable before the cable is cut. Just in case the two parts started to split. Kind of a leap frog system to the bottom.

The contractor that you've been talking with sounds good. Follow your instincts.

Until the trunk is on the gournd, there's no way to know if the stump can be ground out. I'v heard of stumps where a jack hammer is needed to clear out the concrete before grinding. Not a huge project, just more work than simply grinding.

Tom

Yes, I have already alerted him to the possibility. I did ask him if he is going to have to put in another cable further down, and he said it wouldn't be necessary. Obviously since you can't see the tree, you can't tell, but just ballpark: I would say that the cable is about 4 stories high. My house (a dormered cape) is walkout from the basement level and I would estimate that the grade level of the tree is probably another 8-10 feet below that.

I will probably have the stump ground at a later time. Can a tree surgeon do that or will I have to have someone else come out with a jackhammer?

Depends on the jackhammering, I would do it in my biz just because it's different and I would have the time(usually) but it would cost dearly as I'd have to rent the equipment!
You're right to blow off the other guys with the high pressure tactics and high prices usually mean they don't want the job or would do it only for big money. I would still check this guys ins. by calling the ins. co. directly or have them send a certificate showing your property address.

I've removed many cabled trees and only once found it necessary to support the trunks before cutting the cables. If the guy bidding the job and climbing the tree says that it doesn't need reinforcement before cutting the cables, then he is in the best position to make that judgement call.

Sounds like he's playing fair. But I agree with Todd. Ask him to have his insurance company send you a certificate. It costs him nothing except a quick phone call and you will have it in the mail within a couple days.

I have a certificate from him that he left when he gave the estimate (which I thought was very favorable and professional; do I need one from the insurance company as well? It doesn't indicate the specific job, but the insurance specified states "per job".

Do I need to call his insurance company first?

Thanks all for all your help; I haven't had a tree cut down before, and this one is so dangerous, and my neighbor has proven with his bogus claim that I should have the tree surgeon name me as a secondary insured (which my insurance company says DO NOT DO) to be somewhat of a putz, that I want to take care of it in the safest manner for all concerned.

I just wish I didn't have to at all. I love my old trees. :( :( :(

When I had my own business, I photocopied extra copies of my insurance certificate to hand to customers. For 95%, that was fine. It showed the limits of my coverage and the expiration date of my policy. For a few customers, they wanted their own certificate issued in their name. No problem, one call and it was done.
In the 7 years I had my own business, I only had one damage claim. I had a 10' log bounce and crunch an air conditioner unit. I simply called my agent and it was handled. The fact that the customer did not have a certificate mailed to him before hand was irrelevent.

If you do wind up calling this guy's insurance company, just check to make sure that he is insured for "Commercial Tree Removal" I know it sounds dumb, but I know a bunch of people who do tree work, digging, etc with only landscapers insurance. Another alternative that you have, if you really want to save this tree though, is to do some crown reduction pruning. Take the tops out, and cut back a lot of the branches. Also take out any dead wood. You cannot do this type of pruning often, but winter time is the best time to do it. It would be less costly than removing the whole tree, it would give you several more years of life out of it, and also it would mitigate the hazard. Just a thought.

When the arborist cuts the tops out of the tree he will most likely find that the cable will slack as he removes the weight. Once he gets down to the cable it shouldn't be supporting any weight. If it is, he should not cut it.
He should then use Tom's suggestion of adding temporary support lower, until the cable is slacked.
You can pass this on to him, but I'm sure he knows it, from your discription he sounds very professional.

Maybe this insurance certificate sending project is one of the benefits of licensing in Oregon.

In Oregon, Landscape Licenses, and Tree Service Licenses are with either the Landscape Board or the Construction Board of the State.

The Oregon State Boards hold the insurance and bond. The instant a tree person drops the insurance, the insurance company calls the State.

So with 99.9999% accuracy, if a consumer calls or uses the web to contact a State Board, they will know right away if there is active insurance.

My Oregon Landscape Contractor license number is 7114.

If you enter www.lcb.state.or.us you should be immediately taken to the Landscape Board website. You can enter our company name - M.D. Vaden - or our number 7114 and know immediately - real time - 24 hours per day if my license is active. If my license is active, so is my insurance.

Its a great system, especially is there are emergency projects and someone needs it done now and wants instant verification so they can get a mess cleaned up.

M.D. Vaden
Designer / Arborist
Beaverton, Oregon

There is the possibility that a contractor could stop their insurance or the insurance carrier could void the coverage. In either of these two possibilities there would be some lag time for the state to post the results.

It's always a good idea to get a copy directly from the carrier.

I do like that Oregon has state licensing.

Tom

Tom, that's what I meant by 99.9999 %. The probability of hiring a licensed contractor in Oregon who commits fraud of promoting insurance coverage that is not in force is about .0001%.

Even on the renewal side of licensing its a tight operation here.

The Landscape Board sends me a letter if they have not received a new certificate of insurance 30 days before my license expires.

It may sound odd, but there's more leverage here to go after someone that commits fraud, than there is for going after someone that has no license.

No license means a fine. Fraud is a crime.

The licensing boards can get the Attorney Generals office and the police involved on their side when fraud is involved.

Mario Vaden
Beaverton, Oregon

Good thread!

Good thread to all parties involved.

My concern with the base of the tree possibly altered would be in the lowering of limbs from one-side or the other.

Mark Chishom did a demonstration depicting a removal he did on a "forked" tree where he rigged back-and-forth between each side to gain strength and pull each side together as it was cut.

Just another point of interest

Gopher

Back