Christmas bonus'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys get for your help for the holidays? Money, sweatshirts, gift certs, booze, party, raise? Nothing? I know times are a bit slow but in the long run, I think bonuses of some sort are still in line. Even something small does help and anything big is really a HUGE bonus.

Any ideas? I have a guy working with me and has been long enough that a gift or bonus is in line.

:cheers:

I gave all of my guys (3 of them) $50 each. I loaned one $140 to buy his kid a nin-tendo (WTF is ######## filtered???) or something like that... I'll just let him work it off.

I used to give my main guy at least a hundred and gave him as much as $500 one year when we had a really good year and were doing a lot of storm work. Times are tough and money is tight now though. So far Christmas has cost me around $600 with family, friends and help. Not bad considering where I was at last Christmas. This Winter has been a lot more lucrative than the previous two.

I do think it is important to give your guys some kind of bonus even if it is just a small gift.

Last edited:
OH yeah, I gave my main guy a substantial raise at the beginning of the month as well. He's been with me three years and never had a raise. I gave him the raise and told him that I don't expect to be having to lift a finger on the ground or direct anyone on what to do. That is now his responsibility.

I got $200 this year, better than last year but still not what I got 3 years ago.

As for a bonus, make sure to tell your help how you decided on that amount. Without knowing how you come up with that figure could cause an employee to feel disrespected if he was to receive a smaller amount, when it really wasn't a reflection of his worth to the company.

We also have a X-mas party, it really is a fun time and we sure do put down some beers and tell some stories! Good moral booster!

Nothing the guys I work with are certainly not the festive types. Sad but real the times are not great and the weather has not been that bad. Merry Christmas nonetheless and a Happy New Year to all:)

As for a bonus, make sure to tell your help how you decided on that amount. Without knowing how you come up with that figure could cause an employee to feel disrespected if he was to receive a smaller amount, when it really wasn't a reflection of his worth to the company.

Right on. I got my main guy alone and talked to him about his bonus. I have spent over $1200 on equipment this month that is going to make all of our lives easier. So it's not like I am pocketing all of the profits. He understands when money is tight. When things are good and I make good on a job (better than I expected) or I receive a tip I share the wealth. There is always a little more than they expected come payday when it works out like that.

I bought them all cold weather gear, they didnt have much, so I figured that would be better than cash! And you cant spend Carhardts at the bar!

Had a X-mas deal with my mom and brother last night. I got tree books, one of them is a big hardback, titled "Americas Famous ans Historic Trees" pretty cool. Then the other is the Smithsonian Handbook "TREES" Got this from my brother, got it from him last year as well! So now I have 2! And they will sit next to the other 10 ID books I have!

Last edited:
I gave my main guy 150 and took he n his wife out to lunch. Nothin fancy just applebs , it was fun. I also gave him a pair of Pitt Steelers gloves. He is lucky to b a stellers fan I think cuz I can't seem to get away from the Browns. My other guy became a huge slacker and complainer about the start of Dec so guess what he got?....A phone call

from the multi billion $$$ company i work for as a mechanic,i got a $25 gift card for walmart!!

one company i worked for we got a weeks pay as a bonus,even when the economy was bad,we still got it.

I like to do what Asplundh use to do when I first started: give my employees a company letter telling them thank you for a good year & how I just built a multi million dollar facility in Hawaii.

Then I tell them I cant afford to give them a .10 cent an hr raise!!!!

Boy, do I wish I could build a multi million dollar facility....LOL, I usually give a gift card, day off with pay & buy lunch....which was yesterday!

LXT...........

Both my full time guys got a $300 christmas bonus and a book. One got the fundamentals of general tree work, the other To Fell a tree by jepson. I got a letter in the mail that I will be paying unemployment to a guy who showed up drunk and useless then quit. Awesome. I'll be fighting that one.... Merry Christmas.....

Mike

i like to do what asplundh use to do when i first started: Give my employees a company letter telling them thank you for a good year & how i just built a multi million dollar facility in hawaii.

Then i tell them i cant afford to give them a .10 cent an hr raise!!!!

Boy, do i wish i could build a multi million dollar facility....lol, i usually give a gift card, day off with pay & buy lunch....which was yesterday!

Lxt...........
i must have missed something ? Do trees grow inside facilities? Lol .. We got a ten dollar gift cert for krogers...lol best they could do since its a multi billion dollar business...at least i get deep discounts on tires etc.

I GUESS I SHOULD WATCH MY PAYCHECK I WILL PROBABLY GET TAXED FOR THE $10.00 THEY ARE GOOD FOR THAT... MY STORE MANAGER WON A TRIP FOR BEST IMPROVEMENT FOR FIRST QUARTER, HE GOT A TRIP TO BAHAMA'S AND THEY TAXED HIM ALMOST $2,000.00 OUT OF HIS PAYROLL A MONTH LATER. LOL IT WAS FUNNY HEARING HIM B***H ABOUT IT SINCE IT WAS OUR WORK THAT GOT IT FOR HIM....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I like to do what Asplundh use to do when I first started: give my employees a company letter telling them thank you for a good year & how I just built a multi million dollar facility in Hawaii.

Then I tell them I cant afford to give them a .10 cent an hr raise!!!!

Boy, do I wish I could build a multi million dollar facility....LOL, I usually give a gift card, day off with pay & buy lunch....which was yesterday!

LXT...........

Ha I'm still waitin for my Chrissy bonus, scottassplundh promised me "You make me money n you get a cut, you make a loss I'll cut you". Ok so my crew & I did make em good money for 4+ years and we got nuthin but basic award pay.

Last edited:
bonus

been a climber almost 20 years, never got anything except for a bar of soap for the daily screwing you get. this year i worked for a large res.company 13 of us 100$ a piece for bonus.i don't work for a bosshole.

Latest posts

Back