Christmas Giveaway - Arborist Site Decal Giveaway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought we would have a little giveaway for the Holiday season.

Prizes

We will be giving away Supporting Membership which includes two Arborist Site decals to 5 winners.

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
  • Reply to this thread with one of your best/most interesting/funny Holiday memories. It can be 1 word or it can be a whole story.
Drawing
  • This Friday I will randomly select 5 winners and contact them directly.
Go!

One year when my little sister was younger, I wrapped up a bunch of gifts and made them hard to open.

I then hid them throughout the house in the yard with the final one being in our huge Willow tree.

Inside the first gift was nothing more than a Riddle she had to solve to get to the next gift; once that was opened there was another Riddle. This went on for almost two hours before she got to the last gift in the tree. This gift was wrapped over and over and over again and reducing size packages until she got to the actual present which was nothing more than a large pencil.

This gag is still talked about 30 years later.

I hope you all can imagine the level of frustration she had and the level of tears I had from laughing so hard.

Merry Christmas to all, enjoy your families

Prizes

We will be giving away Supporting Membership which includes two Arborist Site decals to 5 winners.

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
  • Reply to this thread with one of your best/most interesting/funny Holiday memories. It can be 1 word or it can be a whole story.
Drawing
Go!
I remember when I was younger my siblings and I opened almost all the presents under the tree. I think we were chased around the house for a bit and we hid! I was covered in some shifty cologne and that's all. 👌

sticking to the theme of trees and chainsaws, one of my best memories is going out to the Rockies and cutting some firewood and a Christmas tree with the family.

Bah_Humbug.

Wifes birthday is on the 24th, mine on the 29th, always overlooked. My first birthday party was when I was 25, second when I was 50.

Only had a chimney fire ONE time and that was way back when I lived in NE Ohio and we heated our farmhouse with an ancient Iron Fireman cast iron furnace converted to gas and I removed the gas burner and with careful scrounging (salvage yards and assoiates) which was before the Internet forums like Farcebook, Criaigslist, and other online sites, I found all the parts to take it back to the original design, including the shaker grates, the shaker handle, the upper grates and the ash box and being not very financially flush back then, our only meat was the deer I killed and dressed during deer season and there were plenty to choose from (and I presume still is back there). I did all my own dressing out and wrapping and freezing too. Even the dog ate deer all winter and by spring, we were all sick if it. You can only make deer so many ways and by spring, deer chili was the was the main course with numerous farts from the kidney beans included, anyways. Be4ing somewhat poor I would fire the furnace primarily with Anthracite coal, the local elevator would deliver coal by the small dump truck load and we had a coal chute that went into the basement and I built a coal bin around the end, but it also got wood dumped in as well as chunks of old rail road ties (roasted them at night when no one could see the smoke or where the stink was coming from
Anyway, I was lax about cleaning the chimney and about late winter it caught on fire. Was a brick chimney with a full fired clay liner and I'm glad it was because the chimney looked like an upside down rocket ship and was spewing hot stuff on the roof and I had to get out the garden hose and keep the roof wetted down so the roof didn't catch on fire, It had some snow on it, thank goodness for that or we would have been homeless. Anyway it burned the chimney clean and I a huge pile of roasted creosote in the cleanout door on the bottom of the chimney. needless to say, I kept up on cleaning it from then until we sold the place and moved up here to Michigan to this farm.

I don't get any chimney fires with either of my biomass stives, just some fly ash wiuch I clean out every spring with the shop vac and a long hose. Nice thing about biomass is no creosote, even with restricted draft. The stoves decide how much induced draft they make, I don't and it's an overfire draft plus an under fire draft, much like how a Scothchback steam boiler operates but no boiler, just a heat exchanger. You have the underfire initiating the combustion and the overfire providing the secondary gasification and combusting any soot or creosote produced. That way, nothing goes up the venting but excess heat that escapes the heat exchanger and a bit of fly ash that collects in the venting and the venting (which is outside, has a cleanout at the very bottom that is removable so I can clean the entire vent from the deck. They average 85% efficiency and emit very little particulates (smoke) except on a cold start, Once running, no visible particulates, just the smell of wood burning and some heat waves. Downside is processed wood pellets aren't cheap today, but I supplement my pellets with free off grade seed corn so it's still a pretty cheap date for us and both my bio-mass stoves are multi fuel capable, that is, I cannot only burn wood pellets but I can combust any domestically grown grain except oilseeds like soybeans because they burn way too hot and the onboard combustion computer cannot compensate for that.

6 or 7 years ago I was talking to a buddy about how I wanted to do a bit of Alaskan saw-milling. But I was gonna have to buy a bigger saw first. A few weeks later he shows up at my house with a 088 sporting a 41” bar and Gifted it to me. Still a sweet ole saw.

one Christmas when I was young our family went out to New York City to spend time with relatives. the fuel pump went out on the car on Christmas Eve fortunately a local shop took time out and repair it. a bad snowstorm hit and we spent Christmas Eve in Bethlehem pennsylvania. the snow coming down and at a log cabin restaurant it was like something out of the movie. I don't think I ever slept so well as that night in bethlehem

Back when I was about 5 years old and I got a Knight Rider big wheel for Christmas. I litterly wore the wheels out on that thing.

Prizes

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
Drawing
Go!
Once spent a rainy Christmas day completing an all day interstate hitchhike to get back to family. That's all I got. These days we're making good memories just spending time with family and friends.

One Christmas Dad got me the Honda dirt bike I had been dreaming of. It was the best Christmas I ever had in my whole life.

So of course my bratty sister wanted to ride it extremely bad. I have no idea why, probably out of jealousy. I said no all Christmas day then at the end of the day I finally let her. I tried to give her a quick lesson on how to use the throttle and clutch. She of course got bitchy about it and was like "I know how to ride a bike I can handle this stupid thing". I just smiled and waited. Of course she instantly whisky throttles it across an entire field screaming her lungs out and finally runs it into a big hedgerow. The entire family saw it and was dying laughing at her stupid ass for weeks. The bike was a little scraped up but 100% worth it to see her humiliated and humbled.

Prizes

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
Drawing
Go!
thanks to everyone for writing your stories. My wife and I enjoyed reading them.

Now it is the time for random.org to pick 5 winners. But from all these good stories I think all that posted are winners.

1. Post 38 -- @AlotL1keVegas
2. post 3 -- @Bob10
3. post 13 -- @soloz2
4. post 48 -- @Sidecarflip
5. post 30 -- @carnesjon

Congratulations! To the five, but thanks to all for telling their stories. Will each of the winners send me a private conversation with your PO Box or street address so I may mail you the decals. And Merry Christmas to all that posted and read these stories.

Latest posts

Back