Christmas Giveaway - Arborist Site Decal Giveaway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, it was my 12th birthday, which just so happened to also land on Thanksgiving. I was in my room when I heard and saw my dad and sister outside starting the snowmobiles to go for a ride. I ran out there to join them, however, I didn’t make it very far. I was running way too fast down the staircase and slipped. I flew until the edge of my dad’s rusty toolbox impaled the bottom of one of my feet. I had to get stitches. Probably the most memorable birthday ever.

Growing up my mom would make a special pastry for Christmas morning and color the frosting/glaze red and green. I absolutely loved it. As an adult, I now know the recipe and it's like 99% butter and that knowledge kinda ruins it for me. I can't help thinking I'm just taking a bite out of a stick of butter.
Butter is extremely healthy for the body. Poor informed doctors would say otherwise. But, none the less, have no regrets eating buttery foods. They provide nourishment for the brain.

I'm allergic to conifers, if I get pricked by the needles I break out in hives, if I get sap on me a rash develops if I don't wash it off relatively quickly.
I've been trying to get my wife on board with a fake tree, but every year she insists we get a real tree, and I yield, so the Friday or Saturday after thanksgiving we go to a tree farm, pick one out, tag it, and go back the first weekend of December so I can cut it down and set it up in the house; my FIL comes along with us, as he's into Christmas and loves seeing our kids run around the tree farm & how much they love Christmas.
This holiday season has been rough; we were out of state for Thanksgiving visiting my family so we missed our tagging weekend, we also have been passing some kind of cold-type thing around since Halloween, and just generally not feeling very much in the "spirit" with work being so busy for both of us. But we decided to go to the tree farm and pick out a tree last weekend, none of us were really in the mood, every tree I liked turned out to be tagged, my wife found one she was okay with, but didn't love, then my 9yo, having found several "perfect trees" (these varied from freshly planted saplings to random sticks/branches he found on the ground while playing hide and go seek with his 3yo brother) actually ended up finding "the tree". It turned the day around for us, My FIL helped me cut it down, I helped him cut his tree down, we loaded them in the truck and set them up at our respective houses, I got the decorations out of the attic & we started going to town on the tree with the kids & my wife started decorating the house with me as her assistant since she is vertically challenged.

Already a supporting member but I'll chime in.

I was 9 or 10. We didn't have much money and some years "Santa had trouble getting us many presents." One Christmas morning, after we were done opening our presents, my dad pulls the old "A Christmas Story" trick and says "Hey, what's that over there?", pointing to a box behind a desk, slightly askew.

He sent me to check it out. I found a long wrapped box with my name in the "to" field. I unwrapped it to find my first rifle. It was my grandpa's 1931 Winchester 1894 chambered in .32 Win. Special. I used it hunting for several years before buying a modern rifle, but I still have it (and a few hundred hand-loaded rounds) to this day.

Thought we would have a little giveaway for the Holiday season.

Prizes

We will be giving away Supporting Membership which includes two Arborist Site decals to 5 winners.

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
  • Reply to this thread with one of your best/most interesting/funny Holiday memories. It can be 1 word or it can be a whole story.
Drawing
  • This Friday I will randomly select 5 winners and contact them directly.
Go!
Our 100 year old farmhouse fullof 4 generations of laughing, story-telling family making cakes and pies and egg nog.

Nothing in life is free and I see the 'free decal' thing isn't either. It's predicated on donating to this site and becoming a 'supporting member' which is something I'd never do in as much as this site is supported in spades by paid advertisers and click throughs (pop ups) which appear if you don't have an ad blocker (which I do). All about revenue which I do not and never will ascribe to.

Revenue for me stays here. I've had a really good year with my machine shop and I've been turning away jobs actually. I'm about to upgrade my CNC plasma table to a full size 4x10 table after the first of the year. My present table limits my cut size and won't accept a full mill length sheet of material without indexing it and that can be a PITA with a heavy sheet of material. That will predicate a shop addition as well. Out of room in the existing shop as it stands.

So merry Christmas to all and I have a lot of stickers as it is, most of which wind up in the round file anyway. I did put on the Stokel Stacks sticker on my Timber Bear simply because it's not overly large or gaudy.

It's been a few years, but back when my kids weren't so busy, we would spend a few hours on the nice days around the holidays cutting and splitting firewood. Now they are busy with their kids so I'm waiting until the grandkids are old enough to help out (we're getting close :))

My grandkids don't live nearby. In fact they live in Georgia and we are in Michigan so it's a long distance thing. and we have no issue with that in as much as neither of us likes kids especially and the older I get the more I don't care for them. Cannot speak for my wife as I've never asked her.

Prizes

We will be giving away Supporting Membership which includes two Arborist Site decals to 5 winners.

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
  • Reply to this thread with one of your best/most interesting/funny Holiday memories. It can be 1 word or it can be a whole story.
Drawing
Go!
So, as a kid, there are some funny memories revolving around the tradition of bringing a Christmas tree home. One year my sister and I were told to

From what I remember I was maybe 6 or 7 one Christmas Eve night woke up to a stove pipe cherry red and the house was smoky , neighbor came over with a flare I believe. No damage to the house but talk about perfect timing when you still believe in Santa lol

Prizes

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
Drawing
Go!
Back when i was 11 my mom gifted me a skateboard for christmas and as a dumb kid that i was i decided to hop on a "ride" in the house. Bad decision, as my cat jumped on me, i fell while the cat was scratching me and the board got thrown right in the wall and made a pretty average size hole in it.The amount of new words i learned that day from my mom was frightening.:drinkingcoffee:

Prizes

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
Drawing
Go!
I am entering the giveaway with this reply. No good stories.

Prizes

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
Drawing
Go!
Let's see, I was about 6 years old and my mom bought us all horses for Christmas. I got a Shetland pony, my sister a Thoroughbred, my dad an Appaloosa, and my mom had a Palomino. That same Christmas Santa Claus brought me a horse for my Barbie collection. I thought that was great!
Years later I was about 12 or 13 my mom and I we're doing some Christmas shopping at the mall. I saw this man with suspenders, a white T-shirt and faded blue jeans. He had a fluffy white beard and wore glasses. I thought he looked just like Santa Claus. I nudged my mom and said," He looks just like Santa Claus."
She agreed and we kept walking. We had to have crossed his path several times and every time, he caught my attention. I guess my mom noticed this and said to me, "Why don't you go wish him a Merry Christmasm"
I hesitated, then I walked over to him, very shy, and said, " I just want to wish you a Merry Christmas. I think you look just like Santa Claus."
He smiled with his cheeks bright red and thanked me. I turned to walk away and he continued with, " What if I told you I was Santa Claus?"
I giggled and once again started to turn and walk away but again he continued...."Do you remember the Christmas I brought you your horse for your Barbie doll?"
Tears welled in my eyes and my face turned as red as his as I ran back to my mom to tell her what he said and then when I turned around to look at him...... he was already across the mall but as he turned the corner he looked back at me with a twinkle in his eye and waved......then disappeared. I never saw that jolly old man again.
Now, 30 yrs later, I will tell you that the man in the Kay Jewelers commercial is that same man I saw at the mall that day with my mom. I am 50 yrs old but everytime that commercial comes on and he waves I remember..... That's Santa Claus!!!

Prizes

View attachment 1133013

How to Enter
Drawing
Go!
Let's see, I was about 6 years old and my mom bought us all horses for Christmas. I got a Shetland pony, my sister a Thoroughbred, my dad an Appaloosa, and my mom had a Palomino. That same Christmas Santa Claus brought me a horse for my Barbie collection. I thought that was great!
Years later I was about 12 or 13 my mom and I we're doing some Christmas shopping at the mall. I saw this man with suspenders, a white T-shirt and faded blue jeans. He had a fluffy white beard and wore glasses. I thought he looked just like Santa Claus. I nudged my mom and said," He looks just like Santa Claus."
She agreed and we kept walking. We had to have crossed his path several times and every time, he caught my attention. I guess my mom noticed this and said to me, "Why don't you go wish him a Merry Christmasm"
I hesitated, then I walked over to him, very shy, and said, " I just want to wish you a Merry Christmas. I think you look just like Santa Claus."
He smiled with his cheeks bright red and thanked me. I turned to walk away and he continued with, " What if I told you I was Santa Claus?"
I giggled and once again started to turn and walk away but again he continued...."Do you remember the Christmas I brought you your horse for your Barbie doll?"
Tears welled in my eyes and my face turned as red as his as I ran back to my mom to tell her what he said and then when I turned around to look at him...... he was already across the mall but as he turned the corner he looked back at me with a twinkle in his eye and waved......then disappeared. I never saw that jolly old man again.
Now, 30 yrs later, I will tell you that the man in the Kay Jewelers commercial is that same man I saw at the mall that day with my mom. I am 50 yrs old but everytime that commercial comes on and he waves I remember..... That's Santa Claus!!!

Latest posts

Back