Christmas Present for Partner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry999

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi
My partner is a tree surgeon and does private work around his day job. Do tree surgeons get more use out of a ground saw or a climbing saw? What do they use more often? As not sure what one to buy?

Was going to either buy the Stilh MS391 for the ground saw or the MS201 for the climbing saw. Are these the best saws to buy in the climbing and ground category.

I think this is the info I have managed to get out of him months ago without him knowing why!

Thanks!

IMO for a tree climber a good climbing saw is probably the most valuable to them, at least from the videos I watch on YouTube.

The ms201t is the king of the crop for these guys, the echo 2511 is another contender.

If he/she values the weight of a saw go with the echo.

Hi
My partner is a tree surgeon and does private work around his day job. Do tree surgeons get more use out of a ground saw or a climbing saw? What do they use more often? As not sure what one to buy?

Was going to either buy the Stilh MS391 for the ground saw or the MS201 for the climbing saw. Are these the best saws to buy in the climbing and ground category.

I think this is the info I have managed to get out of him months ago without him knowing why!

Thanks!
Take a look at what saws your partner has, if they have a good looking tree saw and
a good big ground saw, then either saw you mention will be fine as backups,
Otherwise buy the saw that will replace your partners most busted up current saw.

When you decide on the above, feel free to ask about other models of saw in the price
range of the ones you mention, also consider buying from a good dealer, no saw is
much good if you have a not so upright dealer to support it.

Get him the little saw. It is very high-priced professional quality tool (and supposed to be the best-in-class) so he likely won't buy it for himself. He would probably settle for a lesser saw that doesn't cost so much.

The ms391 is not the best-in-class. It's a "farm" saw.

Buy him the best.

Wow thanks for all the info everyone, its changed my mind now about what I was going to get. I was confused as to what section on the stilh website I should look for a tree surgeons ground saw, but looks as if the Forestry section is the best for ground saws?
Yes good idea to look to see what he has currently and then make a decision. Also could be good to get the top of the range one in the climbing section.

And the 362 looks a better option that the 391 for a ground saw (just a little more expensive).

Does anyone know what a tree surgeon uses more, a climbing saw or a ground saw? Or is it equal?

Thanks!

There's very few climbing guys I know that don't like the MS200/MS201. I know a few of them, and even if they're Husky guys, they still buy the Stihl top handle saws.

Another option might be a HT131 polesaw.

It looks as if I will be safer buying a Stilh MS201 TC-M then! I noticed most websites ask for a certificate number when purchasing one of these but Radmore & Tucker dont. Is this company quite safe to buy from? Think it says there is 1 year warranty on most products.

Back