Circular saw recommendations? (I know it's a bit off-topic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 portercable circsaws that are at least 25 yrs old . built in the usa and have built a lot of houses .I expect they will keep going strong at least as long as I do .find a good used made in the usa saw not a china pos

I know this is off-topic for firewood forum, but most of you guys are serious tool-heads and a lot of you are way more experienced than I am, so I hope the mods will forgive this minor transgression long enough to let you give your recommendations.

I'm considering a new circular saw. The saw I have right now is kinda ok, but nothing special (11 amps and 5000rpm, which is kind of underpowered by modern standards, without modern niceties like worklight, spindle lock and cast shoe), and I think it might be time to upgrade after ~20 years with it. My philosophy with tool purchases is usually to buy the best I can afford, but seeing as I'm not a contractor and don't use the saw every day, I've put an upper price limit of $150 on this.

So what saw do you guys like? I'm seeing a lot of good buzz on the internet about the Makita 5007MG, which comes in at $149, right at the top end of my limit. But some people seem to like Lowes' Kobalt K15CS-06AB as an alternative, which is a lot cheaper at $85. I know they're probably not in the same class, and I'm a little leery of a house-brand saw, but that's a big difference in price. Either of those? Something else? I'd seriously appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks guys.
A question years later :) Which brand did you decide on and are you satisfied with it?

well, I have used makita for years, but when the trigger broke on my old 30 year old makita, and I couldn't find a new one, I bought a Kobalt. Good heavy saw with a heavy aluminum base, work light and all that stuff. It has a major problem, I don't care how tight I tighten the blade, I cant keep it from slipping in the cut. For that reason, I say buy the makita and dont look back.

well, I have used makita for years, but when the trigger broke on my old 30 year old makita, and I couldn't find a new one, I bought a Kobalt. Good heavy saw with a heavy aluminum base, work light and all that stuff. It has a major problem, I don't care how tight I tighten the blade, I cant keep it from slipping in the cut. For that reason, I say buy the makita and dont look back.
Yup. I get a lot of advice for Makita. I will abide by this. Thank you so much

Kobalt makes good tools. It's what I've been buying since Craftsman mostly is junk now.

As for a saw, worm drive is what I'd choose, but itd be used for $150.

a 30 year old worm drive is probably better than anything you can buy new for $150. My old worm drive was old (used) when I bought it 25 years ago, and it is still awesome. I can casually rip 2x10 lumber lengthwise with no difficulty. Even with a bevel, which widens the cut. It is also quite easy to make a straight cut with. Yep. It's heavy, but not as heavy as most all of my chainsaws.

As I recall, it's a Skilsaw, previously mentioned by others.

I know this is off-topic for firewood forum, but most of you guys are serious tool-heads and a lot of you are way more experienced than I am, so I hope the mods will forgive this minor transgression long enough to let you give your recommendations.

I'm considering a new circular saw. The saw I have right now is kinda ok, but nothing special (11 amps and 5000rpm, which is kind of underpowered by modern standards, without modern niceties like worklight, spindle lock and cast shoe), and I think it might be time to upgrade after ~20 years with it. My philosophy with tool purchases is usually to buy the best I can afford, but seeing as I'm not a contractor and don't use the saw every day, I've put an upper price limit of $150 on this.

So what saw do you guys like? I'm seeing a lot of good buzz on the internet about the Makita 5007MG, which comes in at $149, right at the top end of my limit. But some people seem to like Lowes' Kobalt K15CS-06AB as an alternative, which is a lot cheaper at $85. I know they're probably not in the same class, and I'm a little leery of a house-brand saw, but that's a big difference in price. Either of those? Something else? I'd seriously appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks guys.
Just my experience but….I over researched this topic sev years ago. Just wanted a new one…. Have Milwaukee 18v …. Nothing but problems…. Pull trigger and wait ten secs and might spin up. Might not. Extremely dangerous. Also bought dewalt 110 volt w brake…. Since new occ sounds like bearings going bad….. I’ve had two of the 5007 Makitas. Older one over 30 yo. Used for framing, plywood, concrete, block, and still runs like new …. Though a bit scratched up. Just gave new one to son in law. It has the lights and blower…. See reviews on HD web site…. Or popular mchx latest review. IMO Go w 5007. Good luck!

a 30 year old worm drive is probably better than anything you can buy new for $150. My old worm drive was old (used) when I bought it 25 years ago, and it is still awesome. I can casually rip 2x10 lumber lengthwise with no difficulty.

Wish I’d bought a worm drive years ago….

Side note on that old saw of mine: I had a mechanic steal it from me about 20 years ago. I managed to locate it at a pawn shop, and convicted him of "receiving stolen property". Needless to say, I'm rather fond of that saw after all these years, and it's still awesome in a cut.

While the battery operated saws are probably great for knocking a 2x4 off at the right length, they'll never even come close to ripping a 2x10 narrow enough to fit that 9" wide gap in the floor of my trailers. Most folks don't make custom widths of standard lumber, but that is my most common use. I try to buy just the right amount of 6", 8", and 10" wide lumber, but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

Most of my other carpentry can be done with a chainsaw, or this little toy:
1646629221466.png on this: 1646629313243.png

Unfortunately, a miter saw won't rip lumber, and I don't own a portable table saw. I haven't touched that old Shopsmith for 30 years.

Time for a little tale: I don't do enough carpentry to justify owning the above contraption. While it is the best saw I've ever used, I just cannot justify the nearly $1000.00 that it cost. I was doing a landscape installation right by the front door of a large commercial property, a local factory for a national food chain you would certainly recognize. I was using a gas powered chop saw to cut our 6x6 timbers where needed, and their management decided that it looked unsafe, despite the fact that I showed them how it never even kicked back while held with only one hand. So they insisted that I go purchase a suitable "safe" saw that I could add to my final bill as a change-order. So... I got the best I could find. It still cost me at least a 1/2 day's wages for my crew, however.​
It's a really cool machine though. It'll casually chop off a 6x12, although mitered cuts at that size become difficult.​

So... I keep my worm drive handy for ripping lumber. As you can tell, none of these tools, if battery operated, would be useful 10 years from now. While "battery operated" is great in some places, I believe they are only practical for the tools you are going to wear out in a couple of years. I'd never consider battery operated for a tool that should last 30 years. 'Cause the batteries won't, regardless of how much you use that tool.

I assume you want it for normal wood working chores. I still have this Makita 14". I was told an Amish barn builder had it for doing beam joinery.
oEa95CM.jpg

I had a skillsaw mag case worm drive that was probably twenty years old and was a tough saw. It fried cutting some 3/16 aluminum sheets about ten years ago on a Sunday and I needed a saw to finish so I went to HD and bought a Rigid worm drive and its stood up well. I do use my Dewalt 18 volt cordless on smaller jobs.

I find worm drive saw way more intuitive to use than direct drive saws . For instance , with a worm drive saw if you want to make a precise cut you can see the blade and follow your line rather than aiming the saw plate on a direct drive saw and hopenut wasnt droped too many times😂 then again maybe im the one who does it all wrong. One thing to be noted about worm drive saw is that the handle is all the way in the back so they feel heavy , i try to angle my workpiece downward so gravity helps me pull the saw trough like when holding lumber with one hand and holding the saw with the other

To add my 2 cents worth, Project Farm tested a lot of blades. Looks like Diablo is the best.

a 30 year old worm drive is probably better than anything you can buy new for $150. My old worm drive was old (used) when I bought it 25 years ago, and it is still awesome. I can casually rip 2x10 lumber lengthwise with no difficulty. Even with a bevel, which widens the cut. It is also quite easy to make a straight cut with. Yep. It's heavy, but not as heavy as most all of my chainsaws.

Heavy?? Makita says "hold my beer". 32 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_6448.PNG
    IMG_6448.PNG
    950.3 KB · Views: 1
pqdl: I have that same DeWalt set-up and love it. I went and purchased a 2nd set of clamp-on brackets and have them on the bottom of a 14" abrasive wheel chop saw. I paid $350 for the slide saw and table, I got it gently used from a buddy that had it in storage for 5+ years.

I have a Makita Hypoid drive saw that was purchased in the early 1990's and it's still going strong. Had to replace the cord once - I cut it. It's been pretty well bulletproof and I have cut a LOT of lumber with it. Built a 12'x16' 2 story shed, finished the basement in my parents house, replaced a back porch (12'x32'), etc.

I don't even own a regular circular saw, I am right handed and having the blade where I can see it is important.

Latest posts

Back