Clamshell engine - new crank seals or old seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got an old 025 that I've been trying to get a new p/c for but I'd like to know peoples thoughts on the crank seals. Since it is a clam shell design, and the seals are bedded in sealant, once the engine is opened up, is it best to replace the seals, or is it customary to use the old seals? (This saw was straight gassed by somebody else, it wasn't destroyed by an air leak) I'd prefer to just get a replacement engine assembly, but I've got much more time than money right now...
Thanks!

Seals for those saws are not the much. You be looking right at them when you take the cylinder off. I would replace them because they are not that much. Much cheaper to put new seals in then have a bad one and have to replace the piston again. Try Northwood Saws (sponsor here). They have them cheap.

If you don't have access to pressure/vac test equipment i would definately use new seals. No matter what you decide you will want to replace the sealant. Also make sure the seals go back straight, if they are misaligned they may hold for a while but will fail not long after.

Thanks folks! Seems like my suspicions were right... replace the seals. After all, it takes an awful lot of work just to get to them... hate to put it all back together, only to find that I need to replace the seals in a few months... too many hours of work, and the second time just isn't as much fun...

Thanks folks! Seems like my suspicions were right... replace the seals. After all, it takes an awful lot of work just to get to them... hate to put it all back together, only to find that I need to replace the seals in a few months... too many hours of work, and the second time just isn't as much fun...

While you're in there you might as well give the bearings a good looking over.

Latest posts

Back