• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy WTB MS290 Crank Seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlotL1keVegas

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for 2 new "hard" crank seals.
#9630-003-1743
Wasn't paying attention. I figured while I had the saw apart for cleaning, I might as well pull the engine, not thinking. I forgot this is a clam shell, unlike my ms193t. So I unsealed the crank case. Now I have no choice but to tear it down and re seal it. Could I re use my crank seals? I know I should technically replace them while its apart. I just don't feel like waiting 2 weeks for the dealership to get them.
Or does anyone have any of the OEM Hard crank seals?
Part Number is #9639-003-1743
PayPal ready, thanks

Side note, the dealer has 2 of the "soft seals" in stock. Could I use them, even though the engine is apart? Will they last as long as the hard seals?

Looking for 2 new "hard" crank seals.
#9630-003-1743
Wasn't paying attention. I figured while I had the saw apart for cleaning, I might as well pull the engine, not thinking. I forgot this is a clam shell, unlike my ms193t. So I unsealed the crank case. Now I have no choice but to tear it down and re seal it. Could I re use my crank seals? I know I should technically replace them while its apart. I just don't feel like waiting 2 weeks for the dealership to get them.
Or does anyone have any of the OEM Hard crank seals?
Part Number is #9639-003-1743
PayPal ready, thanks

Side note, the dealer has 2 of the "soft seals" in stock. Could I use them, even though the engine is apart? Will they last as long as the hard seals?
Personally, I hate the hard plastic seals from Stihl. Pita to work with and seal changes damn near require case disassembly.
use what you’ve found, imo.

The hard seals are rubber coated, get the hard seals and be done with it.. Look on ebay and see if you can find a seller that offers expedited shipping. I've built a few using the sawzilla seals that are still going strong years later...just closely inspect the seal lips before installing.

Don't screw up the install? Were just talking about a couple of seals 😅
Well, the first time I installed that type was on a 200t, put one in backwards as I was used to a regular oil seal…oops. Tried to pull it…can’t be done so had to disassemble the case…again…to get the damn thing out.
the next 3 builds I was more careful :p

Are these the seals you used? I'm just a little hesitant they're not oem.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285040207301
Yep. Those are it.
Also, stihl doesn't make seals. Unless it's a stupid size, I rarely get seals and bearings from oem. Neither are parts they manufacture and typically get bid to the cheapest person that makes them.

What do you guys think about this? The saw had a 140psi average on compression. Personally I don't see anything that's a major concern. To me it's just average wear and tear. The piston had slight wear on the exhaust side, but I can still see the machining grooves. The intake side of the piston looks the "worst". There is some wear. I can see some machining grooves towards the top, and sides of the piston. The cylinder looks decent. There is a little wear, almost like a circle, about half way down the cylinder. Just above the intake port, and just below the exhaust port. To me it almost looks the maybe the saw sat for an extended period of time with the piston in that position? There was slight blow by from the piston rings as evident from the carbon on the piston.
So what are your guys thoughts on this? Would love to hear your opinions.
I was thinking of just tossing a new set of oem rings in it, along with a new set of crank seals and calling it a day.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 20230813_175337.jpg
    20230813_175337.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_175413.jpg
    20230813_175413.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_175438.jpg
    20230813_175438.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_180201.jpg
    20230813_180201.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_180320.jpg
    20230813_180320.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_180610.jpg
    20230813_180610.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_180653.jpg
    20230813_180653.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
When doing a tear down, use the "hard" seals (still have rubber of some kind on the outside). When replacing seal only, use the soft seal.
From experience, I find many times after installing the soft seal, the case sealant is leaking right by the seal. The you must tear down.
You are best off doing the tear down and assessing the mechanical condition of rotating parts. Replace what is needed.
Unless you like doing it multiple times.

When doing a tear down, use the "hard" seals (still have rubber of some kind on the outside). When replacing seal only, use the soft seal.
From experience, I find many times after installing the soft seal, the case sealant is leaking right by the seal. The you must tear down.
You are best off doing the tear down and assessing the mechanical condition of rotating parts. Replace what is needed.
Unless you like doing it multiple times.
Already tore down. Everything looks ok. I was just going to do the seals and rings as preventative maintenance. I just didn't want to have to wait for the hard crank seals to get here. But I'll have to wait anyways for the rings.

Latest posts

Back