Classic discussion..338xp or 200t?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys..I know I'm:deadhorse: here..but I just sent my 200T to the land of soft wood, sharp chains, good mechanics, and high octane gas forever..I tried to take the clutch off to replace the springs and snapped the threads right off...ANYWAYS I'm in the market for a new climbing saw and wanna know what the latest gossip is between the 338xp and the 200t..I'm not opposed to the price of either one as I only want the best tools for the money..the Echo and the 192 are not even a thought for you guys out there that like em..I gotta buy one this week and its one or the other..I run a 14" bar and only use Stihl synthetic 2 stroke oil(50:1 mix) and higher octane, fresh fuel..so lemme here it fellas..

I had to make this decision a few months back, and decided to go with a Jonsered 2139T ( same as the 338 Husky ). I ordered one because the dealer didn't have one in stock. When I got it , I realized that I didn't like the feel of it. So I sold it , and went with a 200T.

I have heard good things about the 338T. Just put one in your hands before paying for one. Make sure you like the feel of it.

c'mon dude. you know the answer to this.... the 2hunge.

what you back to doing some sidies or something? you going up in the bucket?

Have em both, and the 338xpt is given to the groundies to process brush. Never makes it up into a tree.

This is a question that I have been wanting to ask also. I have a 334T that I have modded the Exhaust and only run high octane as well. The saw screams (12,600 RPM) and has fantastic throttle response. I have also modded a 335XPT with the same response. I had a 18" bar laying around from a a Poulan and threw it in the milling machine and added the necessary oiling hole to run on the 334T just to see how the saw would do with the added load. I burried the bar in fresh cut red oak and locust 26" to 30" barrels, The saw proceeded to blaze right through. Now the only MS200T I have run is a friends 2010 stock unit, I cut some large oak barrels (not green) but to try and make the comparrison fair I switched back and forth with the 334T and the MS200T in the same cuts. with the same amount of felt down pressure the 200T's chain would stop turning well before the 334T. In my opinion the 334T clearly outperformed the MS200T. That being said I must also state that I don't know what RPM his saw is running at as well as where his high and low speed settings are. Although his saw felt like there was tremendous potential to be unleashed, it is how it came from the dealer and they vary to in how well or should I say how much attention they put into setting a saw up. If he would let me retune and even do an exhaust mod to see the performance gains that would be great. until then input from others who have run both and are not cult/brand biased and have good information they could share it would be greatly appreciated. By the way I run both Husky"s and Stihl's and select my saws by their individual perfomance.

scrat

You need to take out the baffle from the muffler of the 200T. And readjust the carb. Only takes a few minutes, but makes a nice difference.

NOT going traitor guys..LOL maybe

c'mon dude. you know the answer to this.... the 2hunge.

what you back to doing some sidies or something? you going up in the bucket?

Hey ole' buddy! dude..I passed the police academy with flying colors..and now I'm an auxillary deputy sheriff! and I not only made it past that fruit cake from back in the spring(looking forward to seeing him again NOW..LOL)..I hooked up with another dude in the area..lemme put it this way..I have been doing about 1 job a week or so since Junish because I'm back in school full time for criminal justice..anyways..I have been turning away work since July and I am just NOW getting caught up..I just dont have the time to do more..taking 5 classes this semester..still in the reserves..dude..I just dont have the TIME for more work than I have right now..but my 200 wrecked about 3 pairs of jeans so I tried to take the clutch off and replace some parts..well..having never done it before..I didnt realize that it was a reverse thread..ya..I broke it off the crank and for $350 in repair parts I can buy new saw for another $200 more..I'm not going traitor or anything..I just wanna see what else is out there..

And yes..after spending a grand fixing a lower lift cylinder seal on the bucket this summer..been using it a few times..we need to hook up sometime and watch a case or a bottle disappear before our eyes..LOL

Like Duane from Axemen said..once you get the saw chips in your blood..its hard to get em out..LOL

Bruce

You stated you had the 338xpt clone and sold it but did you cut with it first and how did you feel it compared to the 200T? And thanks for the honest reply earlier. I am still considering the 200T and for the price didn't want to be let down. I see you run a 346xp, cat or non-cat model? I love running my partners. I modded a 445, which cost about 200 bucks less, and can cut the same piece that takes his saw 34 seconds with mine in 35 seconds but the 346xp clearly has more torque. Had he bought the 346XP before I picked up the 445 I would have spent the extra for the 346 as it is an exceptional saw. Guess I'm deciding which is next....346XP or MS200T.

I had to make this decision a few months back, and decided to go with a Jonsered 2139T ( same as the 338 Husky ). I ordered one because the dealer didn't have one in stock. When I got it , I realized that I didn't like the feel of it. So I sold it , and went with a 200T.

I have heard good things about the 338T. Just put one in your hands before paying for one. Make sure you like the feel of it.
There is definately have different feel. When I bought my first climbing saw, I felt them both and thought the 338XPT felt better so that is what I went with. But I can see if you are used to a 200T, the 338 would just feel 'wrong'.

Where do you buy your saws up there? I have always thought that it is better to shop for the dealer and buy what they have. (If the local Husqvarna dealer is better, buy the 338. If the Stihl dealer is better...)

I have heard good things (but have never been there) about the service at the Andersons Mower Center - they sell Stihl...

You stated you had the 338xpt clone and sold it but did you cut with it first and how did you feel it compared to the 200T? And thanks for the honest reply earlier. I am still considering the 200T and for the price didn't want to be let down. I see you run a 346xp, cat or non-cat model? .

I did not cut with it because I didn't want to sell as a used saw. I did hear from the guy I sold it to, and he liked it. I also heard from guys on this site, and from other sites, that they also liked the 2139T. They did say that the 338XPT and the 2139T need a muffler mod. They may reply here if they see the thread.

As for the 346XP. It's a non-cat without any mods. I'll do a muffler mod when I get a chance. Should be really nice then.

Where do you buy your saws up there?

I have heard good things (but have never been there) about the service at the Andersons Mower Center - they sell Stihl...

I buy some on-line and some locally. I'd prefer to buy them all from the local guys, but the shops around here are a pain in the ass to deal with. I bought my 200T from a local shop and they seem to be on the ball, so my next saw will probably be a STIHL.

As for Andersons....., I've never heard of them.

I buy some on-line and some locally. I'd prefer to buy them all from the local guys, but the shops around here are a pain in the ass to deal with. I bought my 200T from a local shop and they seem to be on the ball, so my next saw will probably be a STIHL.

As for Andersons....., I've never heard of them.
Sorry for the confusion....I replied to 2 people in one post. The second part about where to buy was directed at WolverineMarine. The Andersons Mower shop is in NW Ohio.

My boss and i both have 338xpt's and we both have not had one problem with either of them. we bury them in oak, locust and maple all day and they beg for more. For me it does feel better than the ms200 as well. i would go to the shop and put them side by side and see which one you like more. its the classic debate. ford vs chevy. Both are great saws.

There is definately have different feel. When I bought my first climbing saw, I felt them both and thought the 338XPT felt better so that is what I went with. But I can see if you are used to a 200T, the 338 would just feel 'wrong'.

Where do you buy your saws up there? I have always thought that it is better to shop for the dealer and buy what they have. (If the local Husqvarna dealer is better, buy the 338. If the Stihl dealer is better...)

ATH..Andersons is about a mile from my house and I get most of my parts from them for my saws right now..and theres a place in Perrysburg right across the river from me that sells Husq's about 2 miles from me.. TMT..the guy at TMT didnt have a 338 in stock but said he would get one and let me try it out on some wood he has there..so the debate rages on..

Most of you here know how I feel about the 338/335/2139 saws....I've run them since circa 1997 when the series first came out...fraught with problems though they were.

The latest models have all the bugs worked out, and are little screamers, plus they are durable and cheap, relative to the 200T...The cut speed gain from muffler modding the Swede saws is in the order of 30-35%%, versus 8% with the 200T, if it only has had the screen removed. After porting the muffler, the Swedes will cut with and usually beat the Stihl. I prefer the weight and shape of the Swedes, though, admittedly, the 200T's balance is perfect and a bit better.

And the 2139 can be found in the $350-380 range, cheaper than the 338 for some reason..Every bit as good a saw as the 200T, with less carb problems...and far cheaper.

Latest posts

Back