clean chimney from the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulLovesJamie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New house - the chimney top is about 40' from the ground, the roof is steep, and heights bother me quite a bit. There is a cleanout door about 10' off the ground, a foot or 2 lower than the wood burning stove.

So - what techniques are there for me to clean my chimney regularly? Options I'm coming up with:
a) very short cleaning rods (12 to 18") so I can feed them UP from the bottom. They'd have to be short to make it around the 90 degree turn at the cleanout door. (I tried with my 4' sections from the old house.)
b) get over it, climb the ladder and clean the chimney like a real man.
c) climb the ladder and drop a cable/rope in the chimney to pull the brush down. That would require a lot less time at the top of the ladder than "b"
d) pay someone. Havent done that for 30 years, dont want to start now.
e) trust those "chimney cleaner logs." Nope, dont think I can do that.
f) burn it out periodically. :dizzy: yeah, right.

Any other suggestions?
So far "a" appeals to me the most. Sound reasonable?
Anybody know where I can get short cleaning rod sections?

Do you have a 40' ladder?
What is the cost of having someone do it?
With a cleanout door on the outside, a job like that would cost less than $100around here.

What is the cost if you fell and broke some bones?

Yes, I agree with all your points, 100%. Thats why my first choice is to find a way to do it via the cleanout at ground level.

I got a pain in the butt chimney also to clean. I decided, if I'm paying close to $3,000 to insure my house and vehicles, why risk breaking my back on a ladder. I plan on going to the rental store and rent a hydralic lift. I figure if the cost is $200 for the day, I could get it for $100 for a half-day. The beauty of cleaning from the top is that all the crap goes down the flue into the stove with a closed door. Amen

I got a pain in the butt chimney also to clean. I decided, if I'm paying close to $3,000 to insure my house and vehicles, why risk breaking my back on a ladder. I plan on going to the rental store and rent a hydralic lift. I figure if the cost is $200 for the day, I could get it for $100 for a half-day. The beauty of cleaning from the top is that all the crap goes down the flue into the stove with a closed door. Amen

If you rent a lift get familiar with how it operates before cleaning your chimney. Make sure the ground is solid under it ,or the outriggers if so equipped,& it is level,(Assuming it would be the platform type). I would hate to ride one down that fell over, & wear your harness & lanyard.
As for a 40 foot chimney,I vote for "a". Not as far to fall when your feet are already on the ground. I thought those 3' fiberglass rods were made for this purpose, but I never tried, so dont listen to me.

my stove dealer cleans my chimmney for 75 bucks... no brainer

I do my own because its easy on my rancher. Its dirty, you need a lot of stuff and its work. For what its worth, it needs to be done right. If cost is an issue, you should get a good ladder and the right poles and brushes. I leave the pole and brush on the roof all winter. Maybe you could set the ladder up for the season and secure it. The ladder part is always tough, be careful.

Clean that chimney from the ground

I've seen more than once a small device attached to the top of the chimney with a pulley and a cable and the cable goes down the flue. I think they must be able to fasten the brush to the cable from below somehow and if the cable is a continuouse loop type deal then you could run the brush to the top and back from the ground yes?

... if the cable is a continuouse loop type deal then you could run the brush to the top and back from the ground yes?
Ahh, thats the kind of idea I was looking for. I'd probably want a stainless cable of some sort, and I'd have to change the chimney cap, but this is an interesting idea.

Any reasons why I would not want to do something like that?

somtimes the brush i use is imposible to revese direction mid stream, also think the pulley would need maintance, would also need a real good cap and housing or the linner if tile would fail because of force, but i say build it anyway, maby w/a electric motor$$$$:clap:

I've seen more than once a small device attached to the top of the chimney with a pulley and a cable and the cable goes down the flue. I think they must be able to fasten the brush to the cable from below somehow and if the cable is a continuouse loop type deal then you could run the brush to the top and back from the ground yes?

A couple guys invented something like that. Called it the "Ryden Rocket". Cap was about 2 feet tall and the brush was stored in it. you had a crank on the bottom that pulled the brush through the chimney and put it back in the cap so you didn't have to get on the roof. My uncle has one, but I haven't seen it up close. You wouldn't see me going up 40 feet. Either ground cleaning or hire it done. Some stuff really is worth the money you pay!

found one at ace hardware:
http://www.gardusinc.com/chimney/

I dont like the "weed wacker" idea too much, but the poles are flexible enough to get around the corner, but stiff enough that I can clean with them. :clap: If I can rig my regular cleaning brushes to these poles, that may be a winner.

I searched for "ryden rocket", didnt come up with much. I appreciate all the info, will keep looking. :)

Latest posts

Back