Cleaning Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmopar1k

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys use for cleaning/soaking your chains. Got ahold of some almost new chains that had been rocked. They have almost like a baked on type film of sap on them from when they tried to burn their way thru the log. Any ideas on how to clean these up or should I just run them after I sharpen them???

Wire brush

I have run into this cutting some D. Fir The sap can literally glue the chain to the bar!!! I tried the various stuff, Carb cleaner, paint thiner, brake cleaner but the sidewinder grinder with a cup brush worked best for me.

-Pat

I use a wire wheel on my bench grinder to clean the cutter teeth before sharpening, it keeps the grinder wheel clean. I find this alot when I sharpen for other people that run them till they burn through the wood.

You can buy pitch remover at woodworking supply stores in spray cans.Easy off oven cleaner works just as good. Wash off with ultra hot water and then soak in oil or kerosene as soon as possible.
Make sure you wear gloves with the oven cleaner. I clean my saw blades and shaper cutters this way.

diesel fuel in a coffee can over night then blowed out with air hose... then into a can with bar oil......

The wire brush thing works, but it's a pain.

I have soaked them in a can of mixed gas for a few days, then put them on the saw while still wet, and make a few cuts.
They turn out like new.

Latest posts

Back