Cleaning faded plastics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie1124

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I was reading about restoring old plastics. N set my phone down. 4yr old daughter grabbed it and now I cannot find that page again. I know this topic has been beat to death. But I got to thinking. Aside from the normal mentioned methods.. scrapping chalky fade away and never dull. Wet sanding n clear. Boiled linseed n lacquer thinner. Has anyone found. "redneck" home remedy? Iv tried tooth paste. No luck. Tried several industrial cleaners. No luck . Have not been able to get to town to get supplies.

So I was reading about restoring old plastics. N set my phone down. 4yr old daughter grabbed it and now I cannot find that page again. I know this topic has been beat to death. But I got to thinking. Aside from the normal mentioned methods.. scrapping chalky fade away and never dull. Wet sanding n clear. Boiled linseed n lacquer thinner. Has anyone found. "redneck" home remedy? Iv tried tooth paste. No luck. Tried several industrial cleaners. No luck . Have not been able to get to town to get supplies.
There is no magic trick. You have to get rid of that top layer of faded out plastic.

I used a heat gun on my trashcan 660 which was faded. Brought back the color but not the gloss.

I do know that some strong de-greasing detergents will make some saw plastics look dry and faded. I try not to use those when cleaning a "gunky" saw.

There is no magic trick. You have to get rid of that top layer of faded out plastic.

What Brad said... The plastic actually decomposes on the surface due to sun / UV exposure. Take you fingernail and you can probably scrape some off. The only permanent solution is to remove/sand the decayed plastic and then re-cover with a clear coat to bring out the shine. BTW, rattle can clear is NOT resistant to fuel/oil. You need a 2-part polymerizing product.

If I recall right. Dupi color makes a 2 part clear. Has to be sprayed out of paint gun. Im pretty sure I sprayed my 73 amc javelin with it

The best I have found for restoring faded plastic is Radnor mig welding gun nozzle gel the anti spatter gel . One day I had used a rag to wipe up some excess gel. Later I picked up this rag to wipe off one of my saws and noticed that it brought the color back out on the saw. If you have any try it. Rub it on let it sit for a minute or two then use a clean rag to buff it out. I would think any brand of this type of anti spatter gel would work, not just Radnor brand.

Latest posts

Back