Cleaning flocked Stihl filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How does the average saw user go about this task?

The manual says use soapy water and allow to dry, which takes quite a bit of time... I imagine it would take less in the summer when things warm up around here.

The saw guy at the local feed store/Stihl dealer suggested Foaming Battery cleaner and leak detector as a cleaning agent. Spray on, wipe off and it dries very quickly. Im a little leary about this approach, and Im curious whats the tried and tested method to cleaning these.

I don't use that type of air filters, but the best solution probably is the dishwasher, as with my air filters........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I am usually at the chipper for maintence, so I pull the filter, walk over to the back truck box and run it across the street broom bristles. cleans it good enough for me on the job.
-Ralph

I use soap & water. I bought a spare filter for my old 028 so air drying wasn't an issue.

Stay away from heat guns, though...hence the spare!

Most the guys that bring them into me use a wire brush until its all gone! hahaha

Soapy water and let dry, have another on hand so you are not waiting for the one to dry.

I just got the ultrasonic cleaner in that Lake recommended today and tried it out on air filters. Mixed up some purple cleaner and gave each one a good cleaning, couldn't believe what came out of my "clean" filters.

I use a paint brush to brush them off when I top off the saw, at least on the ones without a prefilter. On the big saws, I carry extra felt prefilters.

air filter cleaning

Sawtroll!!!!!!!!!What the heck is the matter with you!?!?!?Dishwasher?Yer not supposed ta say crap like that on the internet!!!!!!!!!Ya wanna git the rest of us busted!?!?!?!?My wife thought all that gunk in the dishwasher was from a leak in the magnetic resonator valve!!!!!!!That is just wrong!
No More Beer Fer You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sawtroll!!!!!!!!!What the heck is the matter with you!?!?!?Dishwasher?Yer not supposed ta say crap like that on the internet!!!!!!!!!Ya wanna git the rest of us busted!?!?!?!?My wife thought all that gunk in the dishwasher was from a leak in the magnetic resonator valve!!!!!!!That is just wrong!
No More Beer Fer You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't take it out on sawtroll. He's not the 1st...just the latest!

did you see this one? (post 10 I think)

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42787&highlight=dishwasher

I tried it and it worked very well! But my wife had some words for me. It was just the clutch cover, too!

mr clean

DO NOT BRUSH ON A FABRIC TYPE FILTER!!! I REPEAT!!

OK, i won't repeat. The reason is it will wear on the fabric and actually make small holes. The best way is to wash it. Dawn dish soap(probably wasn't supposed to say that either) is the best.
For a quick clean up, I use Brake cleaner. Dries quite fast.

I had one guy use a wire brush, and then a bristle stayed inside the air filter and ended up in the cylinder. Scored things up to the point of replacement. Of course, if he had removed the filter before cleaning, it may not have happened.

wash them folks, it is the best way.

Dishwasher.:yoyo:

DO NOT BRUSH ON A FABRIC TYPE FILTER!!! I REPEAT!!

wash them folks, it is the best way.

Dishwasher.:yoyo:

I ruined a few filters toothbrushing them when I cleaned them before I got it. Now I just dawn and a gentle rinse with a hose and air dry - I keep a second filter for each saw.

School me, what is a "flocked filter", is there more than one type of filter on a Stihl?? Can someone post some pictures??? What's wrong with compressed air??? How would you know if you don't ask, eh!!
TIA

A ruined flocked filter looks like it has window screen for a filter material. A good one looks similiar to fuzzy saw dust (go figure) between the plastic frame. Look on ebay at 038 filters and you'll see them. BTW, the aftermarket ones suck and the choke doesn't seem to work well.

Jamie

Yup,

Don't take it out on sawtroll. He's not the 1st...just the latest!

did you see this one? (post 10 I think)

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42787&highlight=dishwasher

I tried it and it worked very well! But my wife had some words for me. It was just the clutch cover, too!

Got busted myself just this week. Thought I had enough time before she would arrive home, washer was in drying phase. "oh honey you did the dishes" she exclaimed happily. Until she opened the door to see most of the pieces from my tore down 371 in there..... oops.:bang: You know what they say, better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Of course I may be buying a new dish washer before long........ But it do a nice job on the cases and plastic. Never thought of doing my air cleaners in there before, maybe a new trick in my bag, just slip 'em in between a couple plates, she'll never know..:hmm3grin2orange:

Got busted myself just this week. Thought I had enough time before she would arrive home, washer was in drying phase. "oh honey you did the dishes" she exclaimed happily. Until she opened the door to see most of the pieces from my tore down 371 in there..... oops.:bang: You know what they say, better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Of course I may be buying a new dish washer before long........ But it do a nice job on the cases and plastic. Never thought of doing my air cleaners in there before, maybe a new trick in my bag, just slip 'em in between a couple plates, she'll never know..:hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers: That's EXACTLY how it went down at my house! HAAAAAA!

I guess wives are the same from coast to coast!!! I would've ran outside and fired off the saw so I couldn't hear the coming rapture but she had my clutch cover!!!

Simple Green seems to do the trick for me. I just do it at the end of the cutting day, so next time I want to run it, I'll be good to go.

School me, what is a "flocked filter", is there more than one type of filter on a Stihl?? Can someone post some pictures??? What's wrong with compressed air??? How would you know if you don't ask, eh!!
TIA

Ignoreing the winter mesh filters and the HD types, Stihl has two types of filters:

FLOCKED is an Old style filter - it has a galvanized wire mesh frame and gray flock material glued on. Blast it with air - the flock comes off.

Newer (10-12 years??) have been FLEECE - a yellow woven nylon material that looks like a thin felt. NO internal "screen-like mesh". Very tough, cleans easily and if NOT RUBBED with a brush (fluffs it up), cleaned out now and then with some soapy solution or as I promote - diluted purple cleaner (removes wood resins and old mix oil) last pretty much forever. You can use compressed air, from the inside, on this type. I blow mine off regularly; wash them maybe every few months...

There are also very old stainless wire mesh filters.. Not the best at what they are supposed to do until packed with sawdust... :monkey:

Cmon, you allowed that in YOUR DISHWASHER??

Troll, I think you created an alter ego in Sawwitch, just to mess with the rest of us.

:jester:

OK,I'm confused....Why not bring this filter inside one evening,wash it,let it dry all night...End of story,good to go...Am I missing something here???...Even if it's a little damp when it goes back in the saw,it won't hurt anything.

Back