Stihl MS390 spitting bar oil everywhere...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, ha! You guys crack me up! It's all good, Harley - I understood the offer to be the oil pump only! Would have loved to buy the saw for 30 Bucks! Would have been even more amazing if you could get it shipped to SA for $13!!

Since mine is doing this now and I replaced the O ring from the pump to the saw body with no luck did you get yours fixed? I have a new oil pump ordered but was wondering as mine does not have the brass plug either.

Hey Mike, did you ever resolve this problem? I have the same exact symptoms on a MS270C.

Hi! Apologies for the slow reply! It seems that the saw was just oiling very well, and when running it "out of the wood", it really exaggerated the oil "problem". Once "in the wood", the "problem" went away.. I use the word "problem" in quotes, because I feel it was not a real problem - just that I'd worked on the oiling system, and was a bit paranoid. I have sold the saw since, but as far as I know, it's still a strong runner and oiling well!

Thanks for following up!

Hi! Apologies for the slow reply! It seems that the saw was just oiling very well, and when running it "out of the wood", it really exaggerated the oil "problem". Once "in the wood", the "problem" went away.. I use the word "problem" in quotes, because I feel it was not a real problem - just that I'd worked on the oiling system, and was a bit paranoid. I have sold the saw since, but as far as I know, it's still a strong runner and oiling well!

Thanks for following up!
Thanks for coming back with an answer. I'm thinking that might be the case with mine. After writing that post, I did some more experimenting and I suspect I have the same "problem" that you were experiencing. Running the saw with the chain cover removed (washers and nut retaining the bar), I could actually see oil spanning the gap between the drive sprocket and the engine end of the bar. I couldn't see exactly what was happening, but it looked like the oil was being carried by the chain all the way around to where it was exiting the bottom of the bar and "flinging" between the bar and the sprocket. I really wish I had a high speed camera available because it would probably make it very clear what was going on.

Anyhow, thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Back