cleaning fuel tanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laquer thinner. Remove your fuel line and filter first, then let it sit overnight. Badly gummed cases may need several days. The last tank I did actually needed ball bearings in with the mix to help scrub the gunk out, it had a layer of melted rubber from using e-10. Really nasty mess.

Acetone works great for removing old gas and add a hand full of BBs and shake it and it will remove chunks of debris too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

We used a similar method for rusty old motorcycle tanks. Took a couple handfulls of used washers and nuts (we saved those in a big can) and sloshed them around with some gas. That broke off any scale and we rinsed the tank out then used a coating to seal the inside.

Acetone works great for removing old gas and add a hand full of BBs and shake it and it will remove chunks of debris too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Doesn't acetone ruin some plastics? As does laquer thinner.

The super mini should be a magnesium or aluminum case so you shouldn't have any problem with acetone, if you want to after that you can seal the tank with red kote.
Acetone will soften old plastic and rubber as well as any old tank sealer.
cae049ba6d3ef748fbda6f03821847a5.jpg

I have also used aquarium gravel of the equivalent from a local trail or creek bottom. The advantage here is that you have sharp edges to get into seams and corners and apply more direct forces to tank walls.

Latest posts

Back