Cleaning stack on wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southpaw

I react 2 B Venom
Reaction score
How often do you really have to clean the stack on a wood stove?

I am sure there are variables on this subject as to how much you burn and other factors but as a general rule what would be a duration between cleanings?

Because I am new at this I went up every 3rd week and ran a 6" brush through my stack up until february, then gained confidence and waited until 5th week also cause we were burning not as much at this time of year.

Overall I collected all the cresote build up and it filled a 1 gallon zip-loc bag and just a bit more from all these cleanings ( guessing 5 quarts ), my neighbor looked at my collection and said that would be normal .....no idea on my part if this was good or bad.

Have neighbor who says he does this once year and another who says twice a year ...........
I don't plan on going up there on the roof again like this next year but please help me out here so I don't start a cresote fire and waste a lot of time in sub-zero weather doing something that is not necessary either.

Thanks everyone southpaw,

depends how dry your wood is really. i started doing it twice a year untill i became familiar with each of my stoves. once a year is fine for me and i heat 100% with wood and have no backup. the old shenandoah actually seems to run cleaner than the insert does.

I like to do it once midway through the season and also check everything else like the stove, pipe, and catalyst. Then I'll do a final sweep and inspection after the burn season is over. I usually get about a quart of light powdery soot each time. It doesn't hurt anything to do it more often.

Ahh, last year I was burning dead oaks with no bark ...probably started in august and thought ( was told) that this would be ok.

Well I cut enough last year and finished splitting and stacking in march so its going to season much better ..........not perfect but good.

I have started cutting and splitting for the following year and then should be in good shape and up to par with running this efficient and clean.

This season I'll probably clean out every month and see how things look and work from there.

1 time a year does it for me but I burn dry wood, seasoned at least 1 year. Usually check it a time or 2 from the roof when the snow dissappears just for peace of mind.

my JUCA burns super hot and clean.

after 4 seasons it's never needed cleaning. but I always check at least once a season just to be on the safe side.

Once a year or twice just to be safe.
Smoke backing out of your firedoor is a good indicator she needs a cleaning.

15 years ago I 'brushed' the stack once a month just to guage the buildup. Ever since that first season, though, I service everything (brush stack and stove, replace any seals, etc., etc.) once a year before the first fire.

I only burn one or two year seasoned hardwood in a Vermont Castings Encore wood stove. Never had any problems.

I do burn a scoop of "Creosote Remover" once a month or so - BEING CAREFUL TO TAKE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER OUT OF SMOKE FLOW PATH. Creosote Remover is really nothing more than un-refined salt. I probably don't need it but it might help - don't seem to hurt. Also, I keep a couple of "Chimfex" sticks nearby, just in case.

15 years ago I 'brushed' the stack once a month just to guage the buildup. Ever since that first season, though, I service everything (brush stack and stove, replace any seals, etc., etc.) once a year before the first fire.

I only burn one or two year seasoned hardwood in a Vermont Castings Encore wood stove. Never had any problems.

I do burn a scoop of "Creosote Remover" once a month or so - BEING CAREFUL TO TAKE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER OUT OF SMOKE FLOW PATH. Creosote Remover is really nothing more than un-refined salt. I probably don't need it but it might help - don't seem to hurt. Also, I keep a couple of "Chimfex" sticks nearby, just in case.
OK you got me, can you please tell me what Chimfex sticks are? I may need a couple myself.

My insurance company wants it done once per year. That's what I do. I did get kinda bored one February day this year and went up to brush it out and it was a waste of time. I like to brush the chimney at the end of the season.

Early on I removed the stupid spark arrestor screen in the cap. That thing would plug up in three months depsite a very clean chimney. If you have a spark arrestor cap then plan on frequent cleanings of that stupid thing.

Some places require them and some don't so before you cut yours out you ought to check your local regs.

Annually. Usually in Sept. before we begin the heating season. I've heard that it's better to brush prior to next heating season, rather than right after last fire in spring/summer. The reason being that any gunk has a chance to dry out and is more easily cleaned.

Not sure if true, but it's a good reason/pretext to procrastinate what could be a July chore to the fall. :)

Chimfex

OK you got me, can you please tell me what Chimfex sticks are? I may need a couple myself.

Chimfex®, a dry chemical flare that releases gases to immediately cut off the oxygen feeding a chimney fire.
chimfex.jpg

http://shopvalleysecurity.com/store...id=30&osCsid=86f37f304fa35ead46cdcc7ad20f95ed

Story is: There was a factory fire in '06. They were unavailable for awhile. But, apparently, Valley Security is now selling them. I bought mine at Lowes - never used them. I don't think there's a shelf life.

What kind of stove, chimney, chimney location wood burned, as well as who know how many other things affects the build up in a chimney...What you have done is one of the best things you could have done, by checking it out and playing it safe...I can get away w/ just once a year on my stove...It is a Quadrafire insert w/ a stainless liner...The chimney is located in the center of the home and I always burn good seasoned wood...My dad burning the same wood cleans his monthly, but his stove is 25+ years old and his chimney is just short of 30' and has a pretty good bend where it enters the ceiling...Good luck and just be safe...

Thanks everyone, lot of good advice here and this helps my confidence with this subject .......... 3 weeks comes around real fast in the dead of winter and was something that was dreaded, below zero up on a windy roof is not a place you want to be.

One thing for sure I'm going to wear a particle mask when going up there to clean the stack, that's something I did not do before but a really good idea from now on.

Funny thing happened yesterday ........just cleaning out the inside of the wood stove and removed the fire grate , it was all bent up and cracked in several places ( bought at TSC last year ) so while setting it on a stump to wire brush clean the darn thing broke apart in several pieces!

Thought this thing was a solid casting but lot of the sections were hollow, would imagine it was not meant to be made that way but just a poorly made piece of work from china........wound up spending my saturday cutting up and welding steel to make a replacement grate .........consideration for weight and flexing while hot were planned carefully but still would like to get a good quality cast grate.

Latest posts

Back