Cleaning the Air Filter/muffler mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have seen on a post that people recommend cleaning the air filter as much as twice a day?

I have have a sthil MS 310 and can't seem to get the filter very clean, being that it is kinda of like a paper/fabric I am have trouble getting all of the dust out of it.

Is there a technique to get this done better? A certain cleaning method/chemical?

Second question, does the muffler mod void the warrenty on the sthil saws?
If not and I do the mod, do I have to adjust the fuel flow at all? If so, how?

Thanks for any help on this.

Do a search for muffler mod down in the chainsaw forum and be prepared to read for hours. It's been hashed, rehashed and re- re- hashed. I blow my air filters out from the inside with an air compressor.

Ian

If you're worried about voiding the warranty, get a second muffler from Ebay and mod that one, and if the saw fails, replace the muffler before taking it in. But look in the Chainsaw forum for how to do it...it will really help your saw.
As for the air cleaner, it comes apart pretty easy and can be either washed with soap and water, or blown out with compressed air, like Haywood said. If you want to clean it during a day of cutting, just take it off and tap it against something hard....I use my head :bang:
You can also get a second air cleaner and just replace one when you think it's time. I was actually thinking about doing that myself.

By "cleaning" most mean as Goof said, just knocking it off a bit. Real cleaning gets done a couple times a year at the shop in a bowl of warm soapy water. Cleaning more often than needed is not the freebie it would seem as the eliments are easily damaged. Bottom line is dont worry what you read here if you cant tell the thing needs cleaned by the saw performance (over rich equals lower RPMS). Just lightly brush it off or blow it off when you service the saw for the next outing.

Latest posts

Back