Cleaning Up Saw Carcasses?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for ideas on the most efficient ways to clean up something like what is pictured below. I also don't have access to a parts washer. I do have a power washer but that can damage plastic and the spray force can blow the object being cleaned across the driveway. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hello,

I am looking for ideas on the most efficient ways to clean up something like what is pictured below. I also don't have access to a parts washer. I do have a power washer but that can damage plastic and the spray force can blow the object being cleaned across the driveway. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

I use a product called Oil-Eater, a parts cleaning brush, and a garden hose. Dry it off with an air hose afterwards. Oil Eater works really well and isn't a super-harsh chemical.

Get some big sheets of cardboard, maybe have some like a screen door or a washing machine or band saw blades comes in. Wipe out what you can use liquid kerosene diesel wd40 and brush. Use compressed air to move the grime from the parts to the cardboard. Maybe some smaller grime collecting cardboard in the center.

Some guy posted some pics of one he washed in the dishwasher while his wife was gone. It looked really good.
I have tried that with some parts but the dishwasher only sprays from one direction so only one side and "visible" by the spray jet gets cleaned. This is worse on plastic housings like the one pictured that has all of these strengthening webs in it. Metal cases may clean better with this approach.

Simple green works pretty decent if you can soak the whole thing in it
I haven't wanted to go "deep" enough to submerge the whole housing. If I was doing this every day then maybe.

My current approach is diesel/kerosene and brushes in an old roasting pan followed by a garden hose sprayer. After this a little Simple Green to remove the diesel residue.

While this works good it is such a time suck. Most of the effort of rebuilding old saws is in the parts cleaning and not the actual engine work.

I haven't wanted to go "deep" enough to submerge the whole housing. If I was doing this every day then maybe.

My current approach is diesel/kerosene and brushes in an old roasting pan followed by a garden hose sprayer. After this a little Simple Green to remove the diesel residue.

While this works good it is such a time suck. Most of the effort of rebuilding old saws is in the parts cleaning and not the actual engine work.

That's what I do. Except follow up is dish detergent. Cleaning crusted stuff sucks.

I wish I had a sonocator large enough to put a saw in.......

Don’t really need to submerge the parts. I use a medium size tub with a smaller bucket in that that’s about half full of simple green, purple stuff or whichever degreaser you use. Then use a pts brush to soak and brush away as much crud as you can see. Rinse larger stuff with a hose outside and I use the utility sink for smaller parts. Repeat as needed after rinse…sometimes a tiny screwdriver or other small, pointy tool is needed To get corners, tight spots. Depending on how cruddy things are you may need to pitch the cruddy solution and start with fresh liquid. I had to do that with a few blowers, lol
use compressed air to dry after final rinse…especially for things that may rust.

if I don’t want to completely disassemble a motor I seal off any port before washing in a water solution To keep water/degreaser from rusting internals.

if I don’t want to completely disassemble a motor I seal off any port before washing in a water solution To keep water/degreaser from rusting internals.
I seal complete crankcases/motors before cleaning whether they will eventually be taken apart or not. Keeps the crud out of the works. Makes the assembly much easier to work on as I don't have to worry about dirt contamination.

Spray down with degreaser then scrub with gojo supro max is my way. I have a dishwasher in the shop and it works good on the plastic stuff. The steam does soften up the build up of tree sap. Lots of elbow grease... I haven't found away around it.

I use a product called Oil-Eater, a parts cleaning brush, and a garden hose. Dry it off with an air hose afterwards. Oil Eater works really well and isn't a super-harsh chemical.
SIMPLE GREEN, PARTS BRUSH AND LARGE , HEAVY PLASTIC DRAIN PAN. Purple Power = good, but think the SG maybe better?

I use parts washer fluid from Kettlitz Medialub. Love that stuff. Not sponsored... 5l are 25€ on evilbay.
I just pour a solid shot into a bucket with all parts in it, and fill it up with boiling water. Leave it for an hour or so, then clean it with a brush, a plastic scraper and various pokey things. Rinse with water and repeat if there's still dirt left.
I do this with all parts, plastic, magnesium, aluminium, steel... works like a charm.
I have to admit: I enjoy the cleaning part very much when restoring old saws. The progress is just so obvious.

I seal complete crankcases/motors before cleaning whether they will eventually be taken apart or not. Keeps the crud out of the works. Makes the assembly much easier to work on as I don't have to worry about dirt contamination.
Yes, clean up outside first.

This was a filthy 038, cleaned enough to pull the P/C and/or split the casesall cleaned up.jpg

I rob a few toungue depressors from kids doctors office every time I go. I use those to scrape the heavy buildup and wood is less likely to scratch. Then compressed air followed by wd40 to clean and shine. Engine parts I’ll put into my parts washer.

Latest posts

Back