Cleaning Up Saw Carcasses?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want to use something that cuts oil good good first. Most of the crap is soaked in bar oil. Diesel is cheap and available but stinks. Dish detergent is cheap and will wash off the diesel.
I soaked a bunch of nasty old chainsaw plastics and caked up cylinders in buckets of hot water with plenty of dish soap. Popped on the lid and shake it every day or three. It took three weeks to loosen the nasties on old 084 parts and top covers that were beat to death. Twenty minutes in the USC was all they needed after that long soak. Before at the repair shop it was mostly pressure washing on an open or closed motor of any kind. Just run them once reassembled or install your new seals if the bearings are still wet and fill the bock with some oil overnight on short block assemblies I prefer to blow off all the steel parts with high pressure air most times and replace the crank seals in most engines. Run it ASAP. In the 1980's and 90's stuff got dumped in buckets of acetone with ATF, kerosene or #1 fuel oil/diesel to soak before cleaning. Old equipment and tractor parts were just as bad as chainsaws maybe worse with sand in hardened up old greasy parts. Soap is amazing kept wet and given some time. Avoid old gasoline because of the smell. New gas might be a bad idea indoors from fumes and such. Definitely store it outdoors far from your structures when using an old bucket of gas.

Buy a spray can of degreaser, spray it all over and let it sit for 5 mins. Wash off with a hose and it will cone out as clean as any parts washer. You may need to repeat it again on those very soiled areas.
Is this stuff like Gunk Engine Brite? If so it is just kerosene in a spray can.

I have found that the caustic/soap de-greasers work well on organic stuff like pine/tree sap.

Attachments

• 99C9D44B-71C5-44EE-B715-912FEDD25158.jpeg
    99C9D44B-71C5-44EE-B715-912FEDD25158.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back