Cleaning wood stove glass doors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always heard of ash and a damp paper towel. Well I'll get to find out on my new wood furnace! I'll finally have a nice glass door to view the fire instead of having to open the door and look to see how its doing. Can't wait.

Only time I get much black on glass door is when a log rolls down and burns right against it. I use Rutland glass cleaner, a rag, and dip the rag in ash. I like a really clean window to watch the fire

Adam were 24/7 burners...every morning when the stove is the coolest we put on leather gloves and clean the glass with bottled water and a paper towel.

We're on a well here and have hard water, fortunately we were warned not to use tap water as the minerals would haze the glass.

Thanks for all the advice. The glass was clear, accept for a couple of spots that was mostly clean with black speckles, and a line of dark thick black crust along the bottom of the glass. I tried the ash and news paper, and the deposits just giggled at me. However a spray with the cleaner and a light scrape with a razor blade worked like a charm. I had been concerned of scratching the glass, so I was trying a plastic putty knife but that didn't work. I tried my best last winter to keep it clean, but burning 24/7 made it difficult.

It seemed like the glass would stay pretty good until I woke up in the morning. I figured that loading the firebox all the way up, logs were falling and resting on or near the glass causing the buildup. Of course it didn't help I'm sure that the wood I had to (gasp) BUY last winter my first wood heating season were less than actually "ready to burn" as I was promised.

Again, thanks for all the tips, I'll incorporate them this next heating season to see what ones work best for me to keep the glass clean.

wet papertowel. it has always removed anything that built up. if you have to resort to cleaners/razor blades, you are not burning right/burning improperly seasoned wood.

Oh yeah: SiliconVille certainly has some of those below zero C days ! :jawdrop:

Where the real wood heat is --Up North--there's no need to clean the ceramic--too much bother. Any stove, any kind of any wood seasoned or semi-seasoned will ash up the door. Benn using all kinds of wood stoves with a ceramic insert for a long long long time. So why bother ? Wood stove are for heating. :dizzy:

Inspite of the rant, our 2 stoves' clear ceramic is cleaned: when company comes to drink so I can make a good impression :givebeer:, when I feel like doing it by any of the above good methods :cheers: , for the romance of a dark room in February with the flicker of the fire. :heart::heart:

Razor blade for the heavy stuff and then glass cleaner and a paper towel.
I do it that way mainly in the fall and spring when I turn the stove way down.In the middle of the winter the glass stays pretty clean running the stove hot.Before I figured out blades would work it took a long time to get the glass clean.

I picked up a bottle of Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner at Wal-Mart. It works great to remove burned on food from around the sealed burners of my stove top so I tried it on the front glass of my airtight woodstove. A dab on a paper towel and a few quick wipes leaves the glass sparkling clean. It removes the black stuff even better than Rutland.

Another plus for just wet paper towel here. I like to keep the glass clean as I use the stove as a night light (I am afraid of the dark) No it's so I dont trip over the hound.

Simple Green will remove a lot of the crud w/o even wiping. The tough stuff gets a razor blade. There are a lot of great ideas on this thread though. Gotta try the trick w/the ashes for the sheer simplicity of it.

Ma

Latest posts

Back