Climber Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A thread about cuttin out spurred me to thinkin. For the newer guys how do you rescue a hurt/unconscience, or what have you climber? What are your steps.

Even for the groundman that can't or don't know how to climb.

For me I did only one rescue from the ground before I was climbing. First call was to 911. The rest to quite a long time seemingly. There was no top line, only the flip line. I don't know how but the climber was passed out up side down in his flipline. We got a rope over a stob with sticks and made a running bowline and got that around his leg above the knee, we then cut his flipline with a polesaw and lowered him to the ground and started CPR. Whatever it takes to get them to the dirt as fast as possible. It seemed alot longer but the fire dept said it was abt 4 min from the call initiation to the time the arrived on scene.

While I have been climbing I have recued 6 other climbers. 5 were passed out or I waited until they passed out. A panic struggle does either of you no good. Tie a bowline around the body under the arms and tight to the chest. wrap the fall line it'self or a stob or something for friction, then cut the flipline or top line and lower them to the ground. Twice I could not fumble my fingers to tie a bowline around the chest so I tied 4 half hitches. An old foreman I had always told everyone " kid two half hitches under starin will hold the world against the devil." I am here to tell you he is right, but take more just for the security of human life.

Always keep talking to the one you are rescuing, if nothing else tell them step by step what you are doing while you are doing it. I firmly beleive that they can hear you. I also firmly beleive that it will help keep you calmer and more focused on the task you HAVE to complete.

Remember the first thing you do is call 911. Nothing worse than getting someone down then having to leave them.

What say the other climbers? What say the guys newer to climbing?

Owl

Awesome post, I have never had to rescue someone but I have talked it over with all my ground guys what to do and I do make provisions so I as the climber am more easily extractable if something would happen. Glad to hear you had the sense of mind to make a good rescue. I have done lots of things like that in the military in my two tours in Iraq. I have pulled men from blow vehicles. You are right always talk to them they teach us that in the very basic lifesaver course. They may no be able to hear you but it will calm you down thus making the whole situations go a considerably smoother.
Jared

great post

Obviously there is a great deal of difference between real world rescues and aerial rescue training events. I believe the competition rules have changed to reflect this somewhat, with more of an emphasis put on "explaining" the procedures as you go through them and a de-emphasis on the timing of the event. Either way practicing this is always helpful, and should be part of any good training program. CPR and first aid are also a must

The gaff thing is a great fast way to get to a victim and is rarely practiced. Another option is using the victims own line to get to them, there are things that could make it impossible to do this way, but in some cases it could be an option.

good thread.

Get a look at the new 2006 ANSI Z133.1 standards, on page 48 is a Flow chart that covers all they want us to do now. I have only had to go and get 2 climbers but that don't mean it won't happen at anytime and to Who. H*!!
I've had to get me down after I had spring a Red leak from somewhere or bent some body-part the wrong way more times than anyone else.
It is all Good to Know

I've had to rescue a couple, one was a learner that froze at about 40 feet off the ground (took all I had to get him to let go) and he was on the lanyard only so I had to crotch his climbing line and the guy on the ground lowered him as I coached him along, poor guy was white as a ghost, never had a clue that he was scared of heights until then. another broke his shoulder some how and freaked out so we used the bucket truck to get him down, tore up the customer's yard really bad but he understood.

there are several ways but the most common way we practiced is to climb up and tie in above them and then get under them and use my buck strap to secure them to me and use both hands, one on my hitch and one on theirs to lower us down to the ground, that method is if you are the only one there to do the rescue but if there was a guy on the ground as well then I would climb up above and drop down and cut their climbing rope between the hitch and the figure 8 knot (that is suppose to be on all climbing lines) and have the guy on the ground lower them as if lowering a limb.

we also had to practice getting out of the bucket it the event of a problem, we always kept a small rope at least 65 foot long in the bucket so if we had to get down we could lower it and the guy on the ground ties on a saddle and rope then pull the gear up and tie in around the boom and climb out of the bucket and drop down on the rope. I always had a problem climbing out of a perfectly good bucket.....lol

I would climb up above and drop down and cut their climbing rope between the hitch and the figure 8 knot (that is suppose to be on all climbing lines) and have the guy on the ground lower them as if lowering a limb.

this is no longer accepted practice. no need to cut anything, just work their hitch as you work your own.

there are several ways but the most common way we practiced is to climb up and tie in above them and then get under them and use my buck strap to secure them to me and use both hands, one on my hitch and one on theirs to lower us down to the ground, that method is if you are the only one there to do the rescue but if there was a guy on the ground as well then I would climb up above and drop down and cut their climbing rope between the hitch and the figure 8 knot (that is suppose to be on all climbing lines) and have the guy on the ground lower them as if lowering a limb.

yes, I know, I used that method the most when training.

Good post! CALL 911 FIRST!!!Try to have another climber on the ground crew and keep a RESCUE GEAR BAG with the equipment needed to do an AERIAL RESCUE. You need to get them down fast so having spikes, saddle, knife, and rope ready to go like a first aid kit is a must. When you get to the victim you need to determine the safest and quickest way to get them down based on the condition they are in ( conscious/unconscious ) as well as the predictament they are in ( electrical, pinned by limb, gear compromised/ rope frayed,harness torn ) If your employer offers training take it or find a program in your area. Remember too, some property damage is of little consequence in a life or death situation. Climbers are a tenacious bunch, extremely adaptable due to the nature of our versatility, and able to think outside of the box. However, our confidence in our abilities can get us into trouble so learn new things but practice extensively before putting them to use on the job. As a climber you could be the VICTIM needing rescue so learn the limits of your abilities in a SAFE training environment. You wouldn't get into deep water if you didn't know how to swim would you?

Back