climbers:how old are you and when do you plan on hanging up the spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Barcaskey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I turned 41 yesterday and am feeling it this evening.
Earlier in the year I decided to slow down on some of my climbing (I'm not the best, but I could do 70-80% of what was out there) so I hired a younger fellow to do 1/2 of the harder climbs. Well I guess I got lazy as I haven't been up in a tree in close to 3 months, mostly running the crew, bidding and trying to grow the other parts of the business.
Today I had a 50-60 foot maple behind a friend's auto garage and as it was a barter deal, I didn't want to pay my climber.
Well I was a little slow and rusty. Going to have to get up the trees more often to stay in shape.

How many of you guys that regularly climb are over 40 and when do you think you'll slow down?

What usually gets a climber? Is it shoulders. I see a lot of fellows in construction get taken out with arthritis in fingers. Climbing must be as hard on the hands as a job can be.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
As soon as I get that lead guitar slot in Tool, I'm OUTTA HERE!!! :blob2:

:cool:

I sure wouldn't have music to fall back on.
Is that going to be your retirement gig MB?

Originally posted by Mike Maas
At 47, I'm the best I've ever been, but I know that an injury could end that all. That's why I work so hard on my personality!

my lead climber chief antagonist is 47 and runs rings around us younger guys,

54, and I hung up the spikes (mostly) a while ago. Focus on pruning and tree care, you'll work longer. Hips/lower back go bad if you spike too much. Personality goes out if you do too many removals.:alien:

Just administering got me fat and grouchy; I quit that.

guy i would and do focus on pruning and tree care,there simply isnt enough trees in this catagory in my area,the country was settled 200 years ago there aint that many nice big oaks etc.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Gee Guy, do yah think? :blob2:
Yeah well it did mine, anyway; that's how I got this way.:alien: :blush:

Did the beetles kill that tree, or did you? I've seen em come back after attacks worse than that one looks.

57 and still climbing most every summer so I can keep up with the students in the fall. One of my mentors with Davey in 1967 was 76 and still ornery enough to climb once in a while. That is what I am shooting for. Bob

I'm 22 and really feeling it from the years of climbing. Hopefully the whole working career and all the stress is over by the time I'm 30. I can't imagine having a full-time job after that.

Ask me in a couple of years, I should be about ready to wrap it up and become a full-time traveler.

Today, when I do my shopping, I'm picking up the patch. Tonight, I will smoke my last cigarette. Monday will be my first day as a non-smoker... again.

Healthy lungs will help me to climb even longer.

Butch, glad to hear that you're quiting smoking.

When you're over the hard part, start lifting weights again and see the results that will have on your climbing. It is worth the effort.

I am 38 and have had reconstruction surgery on both shoulders and one on my left arm (not related to tree work). I have a steel rod in my left arm and various pieces of hardware in my right shoulder.

I still climb and cut weekly and lift weights 3 times/week.

" Do not go gently into that good night, but rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas

Latest posts

Back