Climbers Input Needed............

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reply to everyone's input.............

I would like to begin by thanking everyone for participating in my discussion. I never imagined that I would have received so many responses.

I suppose the main reason why I posted this tree for discussion was for me to see how many different ways people could come up with to remove the same tree. As I am sure that everyone is aware, climbers tend to have their own set ways on doing things, and as a result seldom attempt new techniques for fear of failure and delay in time. I was hoping to receive enough information that I could not only improve my rigging/climbing techniques, but also my company's overall efficiency.

I do realise that I am restricted to the amount of species that I can work with, being from Manitoba (Zone 2-3), but the majority of our trees tend to have a central leader, which typically and I stress typically makes working a breeze. I thought that others would be able to enlighten me on their removal techniques in trees that have not grown to make arborists lives easier...............

Thanks again to all......................

If I do get this job, I will post a notice to let everyone know how I made out.............you know, whether I had to replace any shingles or eaves, due to some new technique that you talked about and I tried! :laugh:

Good one guys.
I've been out of town for 2 weeks so getting in late on this one.
Elm hinges really well allowing a lot more options in rigging. It's a fairly small elm. Looks like everything mentioned will work pretty fast. I like the ATV and JPS's taking it in one or two pieces ideas, for those that have the equipment.
If there is room to drop the whole tree, and good pulling and retainer anchors I might even try pulling the whole tree over in 1 cut. That would require overloading ropes past the 10% SWL, and that's OK by me to save the climbing and rigging.
265 min for a 35 ton crane amazes me. We pay 600+ /half day min. ,and around 950/day for 35 tons. That includes travel time both ways.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Did a maple like that today but it was half dead. The tree was aprox. 3' dbh and forked out at about 7'. I placed my climb line and lowering line in different leads went out halfway on the leads over the house and hinged them over slowly. the tips just brushed the roof and rail on the deck but did no damage. My ground person has worked ropes before and new to "let it run" so that there was no shock load on the lead I was roping from. I was able to freefall the last lead with no problem. No pulleys. Two hours with 3 person crew.

Latest posts

Back