Climbing fuel cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamadrummer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Where do you guys buy your fuel cans for climbing? I cannot find anywhere that sells the cans that have a hook or d-ring to hook on your belt.

I have seen them but don't know where on earth to buy them.

Is this something the flipping EPA has gotten involved in and now they are not available anymore or am I just too stupid to find them?:dizzy:

why would you want to take fuel up a tree with you?:confused:

dont you have a groundy?

Depends on the day. Most days no. I do not do trees as my main form of income but I do some work. I need to have enough time to find a decent guy for the days I do the work but it would be nice to be able to fuel up without going down.

I am just at the very begining of tree work, I am not by any means trying to lead anyone to believe I am ISA cert. or even a tree company. I am a lawn/landscape guy that is wanting to be ISA cert and a climber.

mountain equipment co-op has a variety of handy sizes of fuel cans....gotta get the ones with the non-child proof tips... just a little screw top plastic ring... they work well for big jobs..

fair enough fella...

cant say i've ever come across a small fuel can for climbing, why not just haul up a gallon can/smaller jug of some sort, and hang it from a sling (somewhere in the tree that is unlikely to get struck by falling brush/timber).

preferably something with a non-spill dispenser of some sort.

:cheers:

If you want aluminum, MSR fuel bottles appear to work. At REI or you may find H20 bottles.
I would try plastic water or pop bottle with a small mouth. Run webbing under the bottom and secure with duct tape.

If you want aluminum, MSR fuel bottles appear to work. At REI or you may find H20 bottles.
I would try plastic water or pop bottle with a small mouth. Run webbing under the bottom and secure with duct tape.

I want aluminum so I will check out the MSR fuel bottles. Thanks very much to everyone.

mountain equipment co-op has a variety of handy sizes of fuel cans....gotta get the ones with the non-child proof tips... just a little screw top plastic ring... they work well for big jobs..

probabally your best bet, although 1ltr pop bottles are alot cheaper ,,
you really should not climb/work alone even if someone was there just to call 911,they could save your life always carry your mobile/cell phone even when climbing
,, be safe dont end up a sistictic,,

Don't forget one for the oil too...
Although I'd have to say on any job where I might run out of gas, I'd want a groundy there...make that any job I'm using a chainsaw on, handsaw stuff I have been known to work alone, with a cellphone...

BTW Little Monkey...it's Statistic...sorry, spelling police:cheers:

monkey11.jpg

Is this a serious thread?

Bailey's has that 'mini piggy' which holds gas and bar oil but I would never climb with it on belt though. Might bring up and hang somewhere at central point for future use?

Never done that however, have brought up bigger saw and hung to use when top handle ran out.

I don't mind having a couple small gas/oil bottles hanging off my belt...easier than lowering a saw down to get it filled...I guess I'm used to forestry climbing where we got so much $hit hanging of us and sometimes you're up in the trees all day you gotta pack gas and oil on you...not with you!

Don't forget one for the oil too...
Although I'd have to say on any job where I might run out of gas, I'd want a groundy there...make that any job I'm using a chainsaw on, handsaw stuff I have been known to work alone, with a cellphone...

BTW Little Monkey...it's Statistic...sorry, spelling police:cheers:

sorry bermie, sick kid and lots of sleepless nights are having there toll in me spilleng and a sis-tic-tic is a genuwine irish word for sumtin, ish :help:

I gotta go with those who rely on groundies to gas and oil my saws. Also, I like coming down, on occasion, to grab a water, return calls, and just chill a bit. To go up with gas and oil doesn't get it, in my book, but I know it takes all kinds, in our biz. Do you bring your sharpening files up with you, too?

I gotta go with those who rely on groundies to gas and oil my saws. Also, I like coming down, on occasion, to grab a water, return calls, and just chill a bit. To go up with gas and oil doesn't get it, in my book, but I know it takes all kinds, in our biz. Do you bring your sharpening files up with you, too?
LOL Yeah the gas and oil is a little silly but I have sharpen a saw once in a tree.
Why you ask...LOL I don't remember but I did. :dizzy:

ok,this isn't as hard as it seems, saw runs out of gas, climber lowers saw down with his rope, man on the ground fills the saw and the climber pulls it back up, no need for cans in the tree.

Heck some guys give me a hard time for taking up a drink and a sweat towel/glasses cleaner up in a tree.
I could only imagine what they would think if I wanted to take gas and oil up too.

Every time I read this thread I picture the drawing in the Sherrill catalog of the guy with the daisy chain hanging from the tree with everything imaginable hanging from a limb... Even a radio. :D

I find that I need a groundie almost every time I'm using a chainsaw in a tree. Something about that noise coming from up in the top of a tree brings out the " not so bright" folks. You know the ones, they try to walk under the tree so they can look straight up to get a better view.
The number one job for workers on the ground is to keep civilians OUT of the danger zone.
Have I worked alone in a tree with a saw? Yes. I will do a quick branch or two by myself, but I think any job big enough to run out of gas should have someone on the ground for safety.

Latest posts

Back